The Boxing thread

Surprised at the bid Warren and Arum put together, beating out Hearn's bid who could have turned to DAZN.

I still don't know why the WBC ordered(other than Whyte pissed them off by taking them to court) a 80/20 split though. Their own rules state the standard should be 70/30 with 10% set aside for the winner. That's for a standard mandatory and Whyte is is a bigger PPV draw than most at HW. It looks like Whyte is only getting a 20% share of the PPV money too.

I've seen claims that the $5m offer was already more than Whyte had taken home in any previous fight. That's completely incorrect. Never mind dollars, he's broken the £5m mark at least twice in none title fights. I think he's actually earned £6m or more once before off the top of my head, vs either Parker or Chisora(which is what $8m represents). This is an all British title fight, that will most like be on at prime time in the UK.

Believe it or not, Usyk vs Chisora broke 1m PPV buys in the UK. I think there will be more demand than that for this fight. I suppose it depends on when it's taking place and the other fights around it. If they thought Wilder vs Fury justified a £25 asking price for 2 of their fights(Wilder not being even half as popular as Whyte is in the UK), in the early hours of the morning over in the UK. Then I think BT might be going with that price point in this fight.

Assuming that is going to be the case: 1m buys would obviously generate around £25m which works out at around $33.6m. I think that fight is easily topping 1m buys. 1.2m buys(which is entirely possible), it would take the revenue on UK PPV alone to £30m or $40.2m. That's without the gates from the venue, where a hefty chunk of the revenue could be coming from, depending on when and where the fight takes place.

Last edited:
The AJ vs Usyk fight, is a good reference point, since that was sold at the £25 price point too. The purse for that fight was a modest £13m, Usyk got 23% of that(£3m) but he was offered a 40% share in PPV revenue. So he ended up with a 35% share overall.

It did 1.232m buys on Sky Box Office, generating £30.8m in PPV revenue or $40.3m. A sell out at White Heart Lane brought in a further £15m according to reports. Taking the revenue up to £45.8m or $61.4m.

So some quick estimations of what Usyk could have taken home against a much bigger A-side than Fury is vs Whyte. 40% of £30.8m = £12.32m + £3m purse split = £15.32m(34.9% of purse + PPV revenue). Before anyone points it out, yes sometimes the purse has to be made back first before they get a share of the PPV money(which is probably how Arum is going to do it) but pretty much every source who covered it reported this is how that deal was to be structured structured. The take home for Usyk there in USD, would be around $20.6m.

If Usyk got a 40% share of the gate revenue, that would add another £6m, taking it to £21.32m. Which is around $28.6m.

Quite a stark difference to $8m and yes Usyk is a much better fighter, more accomplished and undefeated but that is not how market value works, just as in football.

Last edited:
After VAT and the provider take their cut net PPV takings are a lot less than gross obviously. VAT is a 16.67% reduction for a start.

After VAT and the provider take their cut net PPV takings are a lot less than gross obviously. VAT is a 16.67% reduction for a start.
These were estimates, all the estimates given before the fight said Usyk would be taking home around £13m with 1m buys(although some focused on 450k buys but the maths is the same). I just scaled that up, with the actual PPV buy numbers of that fight, to show the estimated take home for Usyk(I still say he likely took home over £15m all told). It was also on DAZN elsewhere and there is advertising and other commercial deals done around the fight which is where broadcasters recoup a lot of the operational costs.

Either way, it still still shows Usyk got a massively better deal than Whyte got, which ever way you look at it.

Like I said though, at least Whyte finally gets to fight for the WBC belt. The WBC's order, was probably something Whyte and Hearn didn't see coming. If they tried to fight that decision(the split), the fight would be off while it's settled in court. Fury would probably then be free to fight another tick over fight. Which is what I think he wanted personally, he looked rusty the last time out against Wilder and criticised his own performance(as did Arum and his father).

Last edited:
Bob Arum has recently been talking about it being a PPV event hosted in the USA, where he sees it doing 500k buys. When they are able to charge $80 dollars and claim it's good deal compared so some events($100+ is not uncommon), you can see why he wants to.

I don't see it doing 500k buys though personally, with no American involved, the interest seems to drop off massively. The USA fights outside of the Wilder fights for Fury, weren't even PPV on ESPN and didn't do good numbers on BT PPV in the UK either. Arum lost money on all but the last Wilder fight(due to the fighters purse not being set so high, not as much thrown into promoting it etc) which only did 600k buys.

I think that was the reason Arum has seemingly dragged his heels in making this fight. He might have thought, with Wilder out of the way, it was his chance to cash in on his investment(Fury) in some bankable fights. Low risk opponents, that he could turn into PPV events in the USA(due to Fury's now enhanced profile over there), where they wont have to pay the opponents as much. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Decent domestic dust up this weekend in Chris Eubank Jr v Liam Williams.

Just heard on the radio there will no longer be boxing in the Olympics.
Not sure how accurate this is?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.