The British Monarchy

My question about monarchy is very simple - who was the first man to proclaim himself King, what gave him the right to do that and how did he remain king - it’s all a bit Game of Thrones to me and just belongs in days gone by. When you think about it the very thought that any man is by birth “better” than any other man is simply ridiculous.
Read up on Athelstan…quite interesting.

My question about monarchy is very simple - who was the first man to proclaim himself King, what gave him the right to do that and how did he remain king - it’s all a bit Game of Thrones to me and just belongs in days gone by. When you think about it the very thought that any man is by birth “better” than any other man is simply ridiculous.
Coronations in pre-dynastic Egypt would be done every year. The king was chased around the mud huts, if caught he was deemed to have lost his special powers, and was killed, the first to catch him becoming king.

In English history monarchs would normally murder their nieces and nephews when becoming king, and any remaining siblings who could challenge them. They tend to pick and chose ‘tradition’ these days.

I’d like to think that’s just because of the period between the Queen’s death and burial tbh.
I’m not sure that once this period is over that you’d get the same pile on mate.

I hope you're right but I think it'll be like this for the foreseeable. The country has completely lost its marbles.

The more I see, the more I am glad I did not watch one second of today's events. I am not even a republican - I am pretty ambivalent either way - but the utter sycophancy; the infantilising use of words like Gan-Gan; the constant chat about how special she was; the censorship of comments in the mainstream media, and the sheer cost, while millions can barely afford to feed themselves, makes me so frustrated with the people of the UK, who continue to laud the pomp while the nation burns. Seriously, what is actually wrong with us?
I get what you are saying I really do. But if you strip away all the crap, at its heart is something unique. She was special and I am no royalist. In terms of today, we do pomp better than anyone in the world and it was a fitting tribute to seventy years service as our head of state. if I have a criticism it is that they lack any power to put checks and balances on those shits that are running the country into the ground.
it’s a new day tomorrow. The first of a Carolian age. Will he contribute to the wellbeing of the nation? He says he is defender of the countries values. Let’s see him live by that.

Anyone free to dislike who they want

equally free to think that’s absolutely pathetic and scummy from Celtic fans though
It’s nothing new from that lot tbh. They have previous for singing about Lee Rigby after he was murdered.

Thank fuck the Old Firm haven’t been allowed to stain English football with their nonsense

We're not though, are we? Not really. Mention anything negative about the monarchy and you get piled on. That's pathetic.
I think it’s timing mate. The nation has been in mourning. Like it or not that is how many feel. Probably not the best time to prod at royalty.
There should be debate, but let her be buried first.

the government will be trying even harder to block free speech and protest so it’s in all our interests that that is resisted.

It is. I don’t think the current royal family think otherwise or have done for some time now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.