The British Monarchy

You have to take into consideration that Republicans have been virtually shut out of any conversation during this wall to wall coverage of all things Royal. I will say as a Republican I have marvelled today at the pomp and pageantry we as a nation can produce, yet part of the symbolism comes from when we had an absolute monarchy and as a fervent democrat I can not justify our Parliamentary system having an unelected head of state who rules because its a sky fairies wish.

I hope over the next few years the Republican movement grows and the figures you suggest move in a different direction. Do not get me wrong here I wish King Charles all the best in his new role and I find it hard to not like the Royal Family and see no reason why the Royal family cannot continue being a Royal family, its the part they play in our democratic system that I am against.

It's a debate that needs to happen.
They have little or no power in our democratic system more is the pity. There are currently no checks and balances when you get a venal individual voted in by their venal party. I would have trusted the queen to do what was right for the country over every prime minister of the last 50 odd years. Too much power rests with one party in this country.
First past the post needs ditched asap.

My question about monarchy is very simple - who was the first man to proclaim himself King, what gave him the right to do that and how did he remain king - it’s all a bit Game of Thrones to me and just belongs in days gone by. When you think about it the very thought that any man is by birth “better” than any other man is simply ridiculous.

The more I see, the more I am glad I did not watch one second of today's events. I am not even a republican - I am pretty ambivalent either way - but the utter sycophancy; the infantilising use of words like Gan-Gan; the constant chat about how special she was; the censorship of comments in the mainstream media, and the sheer cost, while millions can barely afford to feed themselves, makes me so frustrated with the people of the UK, who continue to laud the pomp while the nation burns. Seriously, what is actually wrong with us?

Like all good wakes

Wake cake?

Freddie+Mercury+Cake.jpg

We're not though, are we? Not really. Mention anything negative about the monarchy and you get piled on. That's pathetic.
I’d like to think that’s just because of the period between the Queen’s death and burial tbh.
I’m not sure that once this period is over that you’d get the same pile on mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.