The British Office v The American Office; poll added

Which version do you prefer, American or British?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Prefer the US version to the UK. Probably the only time the Americans haven't scuppered copying our tv shows
Just been looking at the Wikipedia page about UK shows being adapted for the US and some surprises on there. They’ve even done a version of Miranda which has got to 3 seasons!

British one is superior but the American one is still very good in its own right.

The original has proper cringy moments and typical British humour where the American one rightly recognized it couldnt copy that and went to its own silly style of humour that works for it.

I watched the US Office during lockdown and the British one again when it was repeated a month ago. The British one is much darker, cynical and tragic that the US Office and much more so than I remembered. The US Office is hilarious at times but the British one encapsulated the experience of millions of people in 12 episodes. The American version is really about the triumph of the human spirit whereas the British one is about failure imho.

I think you could make an argument for The Office being the most perfectly-written sit-com of all time.

There are practically no missed steps or beats. Everything lands perfectly like the most small-scale Greek tragedy of all time: the rise and fall and redemption of one pathetic middle-manager who never learned how to be popular.

Much prefer the US office. It’s not really fair comparing them as I think the US one copied and then bettered the original. The character development in the US one is brilliant. Steve Carell is an excellent actor playing a part. Ricky Gervais is Brent in the same style as Coogan is partridge. The characters are simply extensions of there own personality.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.