The case for buying Belgian

BlueJill

Generally the consensus is we could use another CB, we need a 4th striker, and a Tevez replacement (read that as someone to replace his quality).

Still others believe we need more depth at CM and another or better winger.

To me the answer to all of this is obvious (assuming we continue with the 4-2-2-2):

Sell Kolo and Ned
Sell Tevez
Sell AJ

Buy Hazard
Buy Vertonghen

Right now Kolo, Tevez and AJ are not contributing to the squad. You can argue that AJ is somewhat, but I will argue against that, and I think most will agree he is not happy with his role and that role likely won't change much.

Hazard would immediately take AJ's role as squad winger, and even AJ's most ardent fans would likely agree that Hazard is an upgrade. (upgrade on winger, check)

Hazard is not just a winger though. He also would immediately slot into the 4th striker role. I don't expect to see him play there much but he gives us good insurance if we lose one of the big three to injury. (4th striker, check)

Many will say that Hazard won't come here to ride the bench. They are right; Hazard is on pace to become world class; he simply is too good to put on the bench. (Tevez replacement, check). With proper rotation we need three players for every two positions. That gives each of the three players roughly 40 starts a season. Hazard would take AJ's starts; he would take the occasional striker start and then primarily rotate with Silva and Nasri. This in effect pushes Yaya and Milner back into more traditional CM roles, giving that position the depth that is needed. (Added depth at CM, check).

In short, Hazard in one player adds depth to our striker position, gives us a world class winger, gives us adequate rotation in the playmaking area and allows our Center Mids to play CM (see Milner). The biggest loser of this move would likely be Barry as I expect he will see less games as Milner continues to show what he can do. That said, YaYa will be gone for a while in February so it would probably be next year when Barry really starts to lose minutes (which is probably the right time in his career).

Vertoghen, to me, seems perfect for the club. He would immediately step in at at least Lescott's level. For the rest of the season we would have three experienced professionals and a youngster with a ton of upside at CB. Come August I expect to start to see Lescott begin to be be rotated out leaving us with Kompany, Vertonghen, Savic, Boyata, and Lescott in that order.

Belgium has a shit hot young international team. We would have four of their internationals. Kompany would be playing along side a fellow Belgian. Boyata will continue to learn and be mentored by international teammates. All three would likely welcome the addition of their country's most talented player in Hazard.

Much like the eastern bloc contingent of Savic, Kola, and Dzeko, and the Spanish speaking bloc of Zabs, Aguero, and Silva, we would have a Belgian bloc of players that would help the new players bed in quickly.

Best of all, these moves would make us money. Even in the most conservative of scenarios, we should get 25 for Tevez, 15 for AJ and a combined 7 for Kolo and Ned. 47 million should be more than enough to land Hazard and Vertonghen. So for no money and no personnel loss of any significance, we basically add Hazard and Vertonghen to the squad. The quadruple becomes just a little less of a fantasy.

Over the summer a few key contracts would have to be extended (Komps and De Jong) but otherwise no serious additions would be needed. Bobby will finally have his squad and transfer activities can be shifted toward recruiting the best teenagers to come to our Academy.

Lille will be out of the CL soon making it easier to pry Hazard away. Ajax is bordering on making the knockout stages which could make it tougher to get Vertonghen, but I expect they would sell if the price was right.

AJ won't be going anywhere if he has signed a 5 year deal, surely?

The other thing is that we don't really need a Belgium 'sector' as from what I can see Kompany gets along with the English lads as he has been here 3/4 years now and has the same kind of culture. I also think Hazard will cost a lot (up to £30m) as Lille will be reluctant to sell on the cheap. I also think we have good enough players in those positions with Silva and Milner playing in the attacking midfield 2 of late. Those 2 with Nasri and Johnson also in the squad is highly sufficient and we should be looking to bring more youth through, rather than splash cash on a winger that isn't necessary.

I will agree that Belgium has a lot of up-and-coming stars and our need for another CB, as Kolo is likely to go, could see Vertonghen come in as a good enough back-up to our starting two. I would like to see either him or Hummels as both are young and can be bit part players up to a certain point.

hmmmmm......

I agree Jan Vertonghen is someone I think the club should sign.

However I disagree with Eden Hazard, AJ can still develop into a top class footballer, the only thing lacking in his game is his tracking back, but then Samir Nasri is one of the worlds best attacking midfielders but was he not criticised by Mancini for not tracking back against Bayern?

I think alot of people are jumping the gun with Mancini's comments about AJ, I think he is just trying to motivate him into becoming a better player, I think Mancini saw Micah Richards as project 1 and now thats moving in the right direction, I think he has started his next project with developing AJ, and him being offered a new 5 year deal can only be a message to AJ that the club believe in him.

The 13/14 season will be interesting with all of our attacking midfield options;

1. David Silva
2. Samir Nasri
3. James Milner
4. Adam Johnson
5. Joan Roman
6. Denis Suarez
7. Ahmad Benali
8. Albert Rusnak
9. Alex Henshall

When i saw Belgium and buying in the same sentence i hoped it was about Van Buyton, i know he's 33, but could and would do a fantastic job for us. 20/25 games a year, 4 or 5 years, and the exprerience he'd bring to the team!

collie40 said:
When i saw Belgium and buying in the same sentence i hoped it was about Van Buyton, i know he's 33, but could and would do a fantastic job for us. 20/25 games a year, 4 or 5 years, and the exprerience he'd bring to the team!

If Keegan wasn't so put off, we would already have him by now. The only thing that worries me is a lack of pace. I look at Mertesacker for Arsenal (Shocking, just shocking) and think we can't sign a CB who can't keep up with the pace of English Football.

shikariblue said:
I also think Hazard will cost a lot (up to £30m) as Lille will be reluctant to sell on the cheap.

I think that is exactly what it will take. 30 for Hazard and 15 for Vertonghen. Hazard will cost 50 million in two years.<br /><br />-- Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:51 pm --<br /><br />
Pughie said:
hmmmmm......

I disagree with Eden Hazard, AJ can still develop into a top class footballer

If we are lucky AJ can develop into a player comparable to Hazard right now at age 20. AJ will never develop into the player that Hazard will be in 2 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.