The Champions League Isn't All That

hello said:
i ve never understood the york away thing, to me the lowlight of that season was wycome away 4500 miles via RAF £150 in taxis to.from brize norton which was huge rip off. I failed to get back to base on time and spent a week in the glass house. Why is york away the stand out low point as that bloody sucked for me
Maybe because people are looking at it from the club's perspective, rather than yours?

Just a thought.

I Live In A Blue House said:
Marvin said:
manchester blue said:
I agree to an extent but with the seeding it's not an open competition, it's too heavily loaded towards getting a "marque" final. In my opinion it should be what it portrays itself to be - a league. No seeding, no pots, you play each other home and away. It they want a grand final you can have a play off, i.e. 4th v 1st, 2nd v 3rd and then the winners play in the final.
Seeding prevents finals like Forest v Malmo, and ensures the best teams tend to progress.

There are plus points and minuses

1 renewed S/Card + Domestic Cup entry NO Champions League for me even though WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!
It's done in the World Cup and European Championships. And it's done in other sports too, so there are good sporting reasons for seeding.

As for the game, it was one of the best finals I have seen. The only downside was the ITV coverage with pundits like Keane offering no insight whatsoever. "Bale had a bad game apart from putting the ball in the net". And this man is a manager?
Glad you've renewed, but we need more support in Europe

Marvin said:
manchester blue said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Threads like this do make me laugh.
When we were shite, and in the old second division, we would have given a testicle to be dining at football's top table.
Now we are there, and good enough to mount a challenge, and folk are falling over themselves to rubbish the competition.
I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the trophy I now want more than anything, as to me being recognised as the best team in Europe trumps being seen as the best team in England.

I agree to an extent but with the seeding it's not an open competition, it's too heavily loaded towards getting a "marque" final. In my opinion it should be what it portrays itself to be - a league. No seeding, no pots, you play each other home and away. It they want a grand final you can have a play off, i.e. 4th v 1st, 2nd v 3rd and then the winners play in the final.
Seeding prevents finals like Forest v Malmo, and ensures the best teams tend to progress.

It's done in the World Cup and European Championships. And it's done in other sports too, so there are good sporting reasons for seeding.

As for the game, it was one of the best finals I have seen. The only downside was the ITV coverage with pundits like Keane offering no insight whatsoever. "Bale had a bad game apart from putting the ball in the net". And this man is a manager?

People see games in different ways. I thought the first half was easily the worst 45mins of football I have seen this season. It reminded me of Malcolm Allison's second coming when we were bottom of the league.

The second half improved and the game had late drama with the Ramos goal. Extra time was only going to go one way with so many Athletico ayers injured and / or knackered.

Congratulations to Real. However, Both sides cheated several times throughout the game with Ramos trying to get players sent off and Tranny over celebrating a penalty with the game won and he hardly touched.

I am looking to the CL more this season as we could get a decent atmosphere going in the Etihad against the corrupt UEFA.

Tim of the Oak said:
Marvin said:
manchester blue said:

People see games in different ways. I thought the first half was easily the worst 45mins of football I have seen this season. It reminded me of Malcolm Allison's second coming when we were bottom of the league.

The second half improved and the game had late drama with the Ramos goal. Extra time was only going to go one way with so many Athletico ayers injured and / or knackered.

Congratulations to Real. However, Both sides cheated several times throughout the game with Ramos trying to get players sent off and Tranny over celebrating a penalty with the game won and he hardly touched.

I am looking to the CL more this season as we could get a decent atmosphere going in the Etihad against the corrupt UEFA.
The 2nd half was better than the 1st. Not many chances until the last few minutes but great quality of possession, and passing under intense pressure throughout.

I liked the way Atletico pressed even when 1-0 ahead. They did not sit back and defend their penalty area, they were looking to attack and press the ball high up the pitch all the time. It was only right at the end when they began to get overwhelmed. Great game.

Marvin said:
Tim of the Oak said:
Marvin said:

The 2nd half was better than the 1st. Not many chances until the last few minutes but great quality of possession, and passing under intense pressure throughout.

I liked the way Atletico pressed even when 1-0 ahead. They did not sit back and defend their penalty area, they were looking to attack and press the ball high up the pitch all the time. It was only right at the end when they began to get overwhelmed. Great game.

Yes it was a better second half like you say. Athletico were still a threat on the break until the last 15 and they had set up well to rattle Real and counter effectively.

Inevitably they dropped deeper even though Godin implored them not to go too deep. This probably cost them at the end but the wear and tear from the La Liga win at Barca was a big factor.

I was glad in a way for Bale to be able to make up for his missed chances but thought that Real behaved like the scum in over celebrating theirs at goals even though the game was already won.

The atmosphere me a bit of the Cup semi verses where we "noisy neighbours" made all the noise and the Rags didn't know how to sing their songs. Piss poor support from Real fans until the equalised.

103 responses and it was only ever intended to be a p1ss take at our raggy arse friends who don't seem to crow about their 3 titles in the last 46 years when Sir Robert of Paisley did it in just 8 or 9 years with the same club.
They seem more concerned about the Premier League since they made it 20.
PS Like the new name for the rags - 7th of 20.

I like us being in the Champion's League, and make no mistake, it's the benchmark as far as the Sheik and the Chairman are concerned — any manager who doesn't make progress in it, their time is limited. But honestly, you give me a straight choice, season by season: you can have the PL or the CL, but you can't have both. For me, it's the PL, every single time. I know it's a false choice, but the principle is simple. Nothing whatsoever does it for me like the Premiership. And this thing about, "you'll neve be considered a great club until you've won the CL". You know what? I couldn't give a…

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
I like us being in the Champion's League, and make no mistake, it's the benchmark as far as the Sheik and the Chairman are concerned — any manager who doesn't make progress in it, their time is limited. But honestly, you give me a straight choice, season by season: you can have the PL or the CL, but you can't have both. For me, it's the PL, every single time. I know it's a false choice, but the principle is simple. Nothing whatsoever does it for me like the Premiership. And this thing about, "you'll neve be considered a great club until you've won the PL". You know what? I couldn't give a…
nail on fucking head .

ballinio said:
Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
I like us being in the Champion's League, and make no mistake, it's the benchmark as far as the Sheik and the Chairman are concerned — any manager who doesn't make progress in it, their time is limited. But honestly, you give me a straight choice, season by season: you can have the PL or the CL, but you can't have both. For me, it's the PL, every single time. I know it's a false choice, but the principle is simple. Nothing whatsoever does it for me like the Premiership. And this thing about, "you'll neve be considered a great club until you've won the PL". You know what? I couldn't give a…
nail on fucking head .

Agree, The Champions League is without a question, the more prestigious, but I find myself going mad at corrupt and inept officials in the CL.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.