The Champions League Isn't All That

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Threads like this do make me laugh.
When we were shite, and in the old second division, we would have given a testicle to be dining at football's top table.
Now we are there, and good enough to mount a challenge, and folk are falling over themselves to rubbish the competition.
I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the trophy I now want more than anything, as to me being recognised as the best team in Europe trumps being seen as the best team in England.

I agree to an extent but with the seeding it's not an open competition, it's too heavily loaded towards getting a "marque" final. In my opinion it should be what it portrays itself to be - a league. No seeding, no pots, you play each other home and away. It they want a grand final you can have a play off, i.e. 4th v 1st, 2nd v 3rd and then the winners play in the final.

Balti said:
warpig said:
Balti said:
yet another winner that didn't even win its domestic league

what a crock of shit

5 mins i/t my fucking arse

can hardly say athletico ran away with it.

where did that 5 mins come from?

Bale got lucky there
The 5 minutes came from the atletico players time wasting, rolling around and feigning injury. It was their own fault really.

manchester blue said:
When we were shite, and in the old second division, we would have given a testicle to be dining at football's top table.
Now we are there, and good enough to mount a challenge, and folk are falling over themselves to rubbish the competition.
I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the trophy I now want more than anything, as to me being recognised as the best team in Europe trumps being seen as the best team in England.

I agree to an extent but with the seeding it's not an open competition, it's too heavily loaded towards getting a "marque" final. In my opinion it should be what it portrays itself to be - a league. No seeding, no pots, you play each other home and away. It they want a grand final you can have a play off, i.e. 4th v 1st, 2nd v 3rd and then the winners play in the final.
Seeding prevents finals like Forest v Malmo, and ensures the best teams tend to progress.

There are plus points and minuses

It's done in the World Cup and European Championships. And it's done in other sports too, so there are good sporting reasons for seeding.

As for the game, it was one of the best finals I have seen. The only downside was the ITV coverage with pundits like Keane offering no insight whatsoever. "Bale had a bad game apart from putting the ball in the net". And this man is a manager?

Marvin said:
manchester blue said:

Seeding prevents finals like Forest v Malmo, and ensures the best teams tend to progress.

There are plus points and minuses

1 renewed S/Card + Domestic Cup entry NO Champions League for me even though WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!
It's done in the World Cup and European Championships. And it's done in other sports too, so there are good sporting reasons for seeding.

As for the game, it was one of the best finals I have seen. The only downside was the ITV coverage with pundits like Keane offering no insight whatsoever. "Bale had a bad game apart from putting the ball in the net". And this man is a manager?

Whether we like it or not, this competition is the holy grail for players and media alike.
I'd love us to win it. Wonder what stick the media would have to beat us with then.

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
Whether we like it or not, this competition is the holy grail for players and media alike.
I'd love us to win it. Wonder what stick the media would have to beat us with then.
-bought the title
-no english players
-sheikh's plaything
-any favourable refereeing decisions we've gotten in that cl campaign or the previous years league campaign
-ruining football
-petrodollars

Premier League Champions twice in 3 seasons, League and FA Cup winners - we have established ourselves as major contenders on the domestic front.

So now we move upwards from base camp and begin our assault on the pinnacle of Club football.

We might not necessarily like it, but we are hell-bent on going out and winning it.

i ve never understood the york away thing, to me the lowlight of that season was wycome away 4500 miles via RAF £150 in taxis to.from brize norton which was huge rip off. I failed to get back to base on time and spent a week in the glass house. Why is york away the stand out low point as that bloody sucked for me

I love it. There is a drama surrounding it that is fantastic. Seeing the best in the world playing on our pitch with all the attention that goes with it is fantastic. It's also the only way we will ever see our name mentioned as one of the elite clubs.

hello said:
i ve never understood the york away thing, to me the lowlight of that season was wycome away 4500 miles via RAF £150 in taxis to.from brize norton which was huge rip off. I failed to get back to base on time and spent a week in the glass house. Why is york away the stand out low point as that bloody sucked for me

I think it is seen as the low point because when we lost we reached our lowest league standing in our history.They might have been character building days and a fair few laughs along the way but i am glad we are now succesfull and did they have to last so bloody long????

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.