The Conservative Party/Government

Half the "independents" are people who wouldn't get past a party selection process, even a Tory one. Or they are Tories who know they wouldn't get elected as Tories.
There was lots of noise when they first got elected and some grand plans. That seems to have died down and not much has changed as it’s hard to implement stuff with no money in the kitty.

The local market has improved a bit, to be fair, but the rest is just angry people shouting at the system.

I said I had no idea but I do have one from 2010.

In 2010, number of billionaires in the world was 1011 and, by 2023, that number was 2640, which was 2.6 times higher.

In the UK, following 13 years of a Conservative government the UK number had gone from 29 in 2010 to 171 in 2023, which is a SIX fold increase. QED as they say.
It proves nothing I’m afraid, not when you think about the type of individuals involved and how they are likely to have made their money.

How do you know the increased number of billionaires in the UK isn’t simply the result of people switching their domicile to the UK - perhaps getting out of Russia, HK or some other dodgy country - rather than UK born people becoming billionaires through returns on their UK assets/businesses?

Over the past 30 years you’ve had an unprecedented increase in global trade, a far higher degree of global correlation across asset prices and the widespread removal of restrictions on capital flows. Anything the Conservative Party has or hasn’t done in the face of that is largely irrelevant with regard to the number of billionaires globally and where they choose to live. You could of course discourage the very wealthy from coming to the UK but governments tend not to do that sort of thing.

It proves nothing I’m afraid, not when you think about the type of individuals involved and how they are likely to have made their money.

How do you know the increased number of billionaires in the UK isn’t simply the result of people switching their domicile to the UK - perhaps getting out of Russia, HK or some other dodgy country - rather than UK born people becoming billionaires through returns on their UK assets/businesses?

Over the past 30 years you’ve had an unprecedented increase in global trade, a far higher degree of global correlation across asset prices and the widespread removal of restrictions on capital flows. Anything the Conservative Party has or hasn’t done in the face of that is largely irrelevant with regard to the number of billionaires globally and where they choose to live. You could of course discourage the very wealthy from coming to the UK but governments tend not to do that sort of thing.

The worlds population has almost doubled in that time, there is obviously going to be more billionaires and by definition more people living on abject poverty rather than relative poverty the west loves to bang on about.

It proves your idea that the UK was not an outlier was wrong. Now you're just speculating about why you were wrong.

Just think, another 5 years of Tory:

Schools crumbled, education gone
NHS waiting, how can we pile them higher
Defence and security ignored, cannot protect ourselves
Working rights diminished, treated like slaves
Life in general, absolutely fucked

As usual, we‘ll accept it and try to exist.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.