The Conservative Party/Government

What a bunch of cunts.

The 18 hours a week - which is around half a full-time working week - applies to people earning the minimum wage. Someone earning more per hour can work fewer hours, as long as their total earnings meet the Administrative Earnings Threshold (AET) set by the government.
From Monday the AET will be £892, which is what you would earn in a month if you worked for 18 hours a week at the minimum wage.
If a claimant is earning less than the threshold they will be asked to look for more, or better paid, work.
If a couple is earning less than £1,437 between them, they will be expected to try to increase their earnings.

Are their people out there undercutting themselves who just take any old job and don't care about what the market ought to give them?

Not many, I would think.

Are there employers out there going to give out extra hours to employees on the breadline without getting them to jump through hoops to earn it?

What a bunch of scum these Tory bastards are.

Last edited:

What a bunch of cunts.

The 18 hours a week - which is around half a full-time working week - applies to people earning the minimum wage. Someone earning more per hour can work fewer hours, as long as their total earnings meet the Administrative Earnings Threshold (AET) set by the government.
From Monday the AET will be £892, which is what you would earn in a month if you worked for 18 hours a week at the minimum wage.
If a claimant is earning less than the threshold they will be asked to look for more, or better paid, work.
If a couple is earning less than £1,437 between them, they will be expected to try to increase their earnings.

Are their people out there undercutting themselves who just take any old job and don't care about what the market ought to give them?

Not many, I would think.

Are there employers out there going to give out extra hours to employees on the deadline without getting them to jump through hoops to earn it?

What a bunch of scum these Tory bastards are.

So basically what’s going to happen is a bunch more people will be forced to get more support and help looking for better paid work and/or more hours?

I’m trying to work out why you think this might be a bad thing for the individual.

So basically what’s going to happen is a bunch more people will be forced to get more support and help looking for better paid work and/or more hours?

I’m trying to work out why you think this might be a bad thing for the individual.

It's punishing employees rather than employers though isn't it?

Maybe some people are doing jobs where it would be difficult to secure more hours or transition into a different role or sector.

I had several conversations with a paranoid schizophrenic who looked like Doc Brown from back to the future, he could only find work washing toilets and the mere mention of professional(s) (including the TV serial "the professionals" set off his paranoia). Someone in similar situation who had managed to get a small part time job would be punished because of an arbitrary government dictat that was only dreamt up to appeal to out of touch gammons.

Maybe the minimum wage needs to go up or employers need to offer a minimum level of work unless specific criteria apply. E.g. highly skilled freelance that would already make them ineligible for universal credit top-ups.

Isn't your response to this incongruous with your outspoken position on employers such as the big supermarket chains taking the piss with tax credits?

It's punishing employees rather than employers though isn't it?

Maybe some people are doing jobs where it would be difficult to secure more hours or transition into a different role or sector.

I had several conversations with a paranoid schizophrenic who looked like Doc Brown from back to the future, he could only find work washing toilets and the mere mention of professional(s) (including the TV serial "the professionals" set off his paranoia). Someone in similar situation who had managed to get a small part time job would be punished because of an arbitrary government dictat that was only dreamt up to appeal to out of touch gammons.

Maybe the minimum wage needs to go up or employers need to offer a minimum level of work unless specific criteria apply. E.g. highly skilled freelance that would already make them ineligible for universal credit top-ups.

Isn't your response to this incongruous with your outspoken position on employers such as the big supermarket chains taking the piss with tax credits?

Your last paragraph is absolutely correct. Companies take the piss for sure. Some big companies at that.

I don’t see this as punishment, quite the opposite, and nor is this new legislation but because it’s benefits and because it’s the tories the default view is one of skepticism. I get that. For me this is all about improving the individuals reward for their work with the right support and coaching - if that’s punishment sign me up to the red room!! You could reasonably argue that we shouldn’t need to do this (and I would agree) but sadly I refer you to my first paragraph and your last paragraph.

There are also protected characteristics that mean people with disabilities won’t be impacted at all - the contentious issue here is what you and I might deem as a disability isn’t the same as what the government do but that’s a bigger / different problem.

As an advocate of the free market I’m not a natural fan of the minimum wage as it leaves the state controlling the baseline cost of labour and tells firms what they can get away with paying rather than them paying what people are worth. However, overall, it’s done more good than not and I would have no issue of them raising it, none at all, and I await the day companies don’t need telling what fair pay looks like (I don’t think the MW is fair pay btw - it’s too low).

Your last paragraph is absolutely correct. Companies take the piss for sure. Some big companies at that.

I don’t see this as punishment, quite the opposite, and nor is this new legislation but because it’s benefits and because it’s the tories the default view is one of skepticism. I get that. For me this is all about improving the individuals reward for their work with the right support and coaching - if that’s punishment sign me up to the red room!! You could reasonably argue that we shouldn’t need to do this (and I would agree) but sadly I refer you to my first paragraph and your last paragraph.

There are also protected characteristics that mean people with disabilities won’t be impacted at all - the contentious issue here is what you and I might deem as a disability isn’t the same as what the government do but that’s a bigger / different problem.

As an advocate of the free market I’m not a natural fan of the minimum wage as it leaves the state controlling the baseline cost of labour and tells firms what they can get away with paying rather than them paying what people are worth. However, overall, it’s done more good than not and I would have no issue of them raising it, none at all, and I await the day companies don’t need telling what fair pay looks like (I don’t think the MW is fair pay btw - it’s too low).
We have waited for fourteen years for these individual coaches , this is about slashing benefits and not helping people

Having a break in Bournemouth at the moment - walked past a Job Centre + and 2 employee's were outside having a fag wearing rainbow lanyards - both me and the Mrs were placed into a state of heightened indifference at the very sight of this
My employer has issued various coloured ones to promote diversity and inclusivity.

I was politely told to piss off by my manager when I asked will the company follow the government lead and recall all of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.