The Conservative Party

And don’t forget, those public schools have charitable status.
We are subsidising them as they don’t pay any tax.
All they have to do is demonstrate that they create public benefits.
Well………don’t they???

One of the public schools in my town used to send their sixth formers to hold PE sessions at the primary school I went to (perhaps they still do) and they even invited us to attend their own facilities on some occasions.

Of course as I was aged 10 I didn't realise then it was just a cynical way to justify their parasitic charitable status.

Thought the labour response was crap , so many open goals , if they are to get the working class voters back today was it , spineless wimps
They don’t need them back today, they need them back at the next General Election, and the pain of the next months will drive many more to the opposition parties anyway. It’s actually in Labour’s interest to let this now unfold, painful as that may be, as it cannot be reversed.

And for those looking for a Labour manifesto of coherent and costed policies ahead of the General Election, I would say don’t hold your breath. The Conservatives have shown that manifestos are now meaningless and irrelevant. Far better to go into the election offering a slogan, e.g. ‘a bold and radical overhaul’, and then set about implementing whatever that means.

As a high rate tax payer - the extra money i get will not be offset by the increase in my energy bills. So for me it changes nothing. But I'm concious that the lower you earn the less benefit and everyone's energy bills are going up. Its morally wrong.
Do you mean high rate as in 40% or the 45% they're cutting to 40%? These tax cuts are not about paying your fuel bills, you're getting a chink to help do that already. Also what are they doing about the 62% marginal rate between 100-125K? Sod all on that I guess.

Listening on the radio that tax cut at the top losses the treasury £2 billion the people that benefitting number about 600k each will be £10k better off, Jesus Christ if people can’t see how they are looking after their mates then they are blind.
We will pay for it by cuts in public services and borrowing from the IMF, if Labour get in at the next GE they will struggle to do anything about it we’ll be in so much debt.

Do you mean high rate as in 40% or the 45% they're cutting to 40%? These tax cuts are not about paying your fuel bills, you're getting a chink to help do that already. Also what are they doing about the 62% marginal rate between 100-125K? Sod all on that I guess.

Yeah the benefit to me is in the NI change (circa £1k a year better off). I'm not in the additional rate bracket so no gravy there for me.

The thing is they claim that they are reducing tax to help grow the economy but surely if its that simple you can adjust any band and generate the same effect. The obvious question for them is what is it about people earning over £150k a year that made them want to target them, to reduce their tax, to help the economy. Why not tinker with the basic rate?

Income Tax rates and bands
BandTaxable incomeTax rate
Personal AllowanceUp to £12,5700%
Basic rate£12,571 to £50,27020%
Higher rate£50,271 to £150,00040%
Additional rateover £150,00045%

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.