The Conservative Party

Yeah the benefit to me is in the NI change (circa £1k a year better off). I'm not in the additional rate bracket so no gravy there for me.

The thing is they claim that they are reducing tax to help grow the economy but surely if its that simple you can adjust any band and generate the same effect. The obvious question for them is what is it about people earning over £150k a year that made them want to target them, to reduce their tax, to help the economy. Why not tinker with the basic rate?

Income Tax rates and bands
BandTaxable incomeTax rate
Personal AllowanceUp to £12,5700%
Basic rate£12,571 to £50,27020%
Higher rate£50,271 to £150,00040%
Additional rateover £150,00045%

Pumping money into the economy through tax breaks means you should start lower down the scale, even increasing benefits. The argument will be that ‘these people will spend it on iPhones’, and I’m like, yeah, that’s the fucking point. Consumer spending drives growth, so the more iPhones the better.

Yeah the benefit to me is in the NI change (circa £1k a year better off). I'm not in the additional rate bracket so no gravy there for me.

The thing is they claim that they are reducing tax to help grow the economy but surely if its that simple you can adjust any band and generate the same effect. The obvious question for them is what is it about people earning over £150k a year that made them want to target them, to reduce their tax, to help the economy. Why not tinker with the basic rate?

Income Tax rates and bands
BandTaxable incomeTax rate
Personal AllowanceUp to £12,5700%
Basic rate£12,571 to £50,27020%
Higher rate£50,271 to £150,00040%
Additional rateover £150,00045%
Spot on. But the first thing Sunak did as Chancellor was to freeze the bands that had previously been index linked till 2026. So the fiscal drag affects all who pay tax and brings many into higher bands. AS a comparison, reducing tax from 20% to 19% for someone on £25k is the princely giveaway of £125.

They are also claiming that the reduction in fuel bills will reduce CPI. That may be the case but CPI doesn't include housing costs like mortgages that are included in RPI so even the inflation figure that they work on will be skewed.

Last edited:
But remember all you naysayers….we were promised high skilled, high paid jobs in global Britain.
You get your high paid jobs, then you get to enjoy the benefits of all those luvverly tax-cuts.
Hooray.

Tory MP Julian Smith breaks ranks

’In a statement with many positive enterprise measures this huge tax cut for the very rich at a time of national crisis & real fear & anxiety amongst low income workers & citizens is wrong.‘
MP for the safe Conservative seat of Skipton and Ripon with a 23,659 majority; he’s now been openly critical of May, Johnson, and Truss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.