The Conservative Party

Furlough.
Nightingale hospitals.
Vaccines.
Ukraine.
Levelling up.
NATO expansion.
Social care reforms.
Could even chuck Brexit in there if only because it was the democratic will of the country.

This isn’t to say the policies were implemented without fault/issues/successfully etc - but more to say the reasoning and intent of these policies doesn’t indicate a PM who was utterly incompetent (see Liz Truss for that).
Good grief. You're serious!

While my post was intentionally gilded with hyperbole for comedic effect, if asking for a competent government (of any colour, red or blue) makes me a Labour Party activist then I think that's quite a sad indictment on where we are. All I want is to see is some semblance of ability and integrity from the people who are supposed to be running our country.

At a policy level, I'm actually politically very moderate/centrist and in times gone by I had a lot of respect for some Conservative MPs and would have happily voted for them at a constituency level or during local elections. The party has changed though for the worse - perhaps irreparably. I've voted Lib Dem too on multiple occasions. I've not decided who I would vote for this time round but you can probably tell who it wouldn't be.

Thanks for the candour. I think the clear influence recently shown by global financial markets suggest that they ultimately determine economic policy, not the government. Should Labour get into power, they will face the same constraints on policy.

Insofar as pension schemes are concerned.

1. Gordon Browns tax grab from pension schemes has amounted to them being denuded over the last 20 years of £100 billion. No other measure has so impacted them forcing higher contributions from employers and most DB schemes closed to new members.

2. The recent hit to pension schemes forcing the BoE to intervene was due to stupid trustees under advice from greedy investment advisors contracting into flawed LDI derivatives that meant when gilt yields rose rapidly, they had to sell gilts at a loss to pay the collateral due on those derivatives.

3. The BoE must share the blame for not increasing interest rates earlier and letting inflation rip without check.

To Paraphrase Gene Hunt:

"You soft southern Nancy Boy, shandy drinking,Tory bastards supporting poofter!"

:)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.