The Corner Shop

I've just done what amounts to prettyuch a shop for the week round at ours. No queue, plenty of stock (more than usual tbh) and, although of course items are quite a bit more expensive than the supermarkets because we're cutting back on the non-essentials, actually spent less than usual.

Much nicer & less stressful than braving the local Sainsbury's or Asda at the moment.

In the current climate I am wary of the supermarket and the milling hoardes. So I use the village shop. It's brilliant.
I was brought up at a time when the old style English corner shop was convenient but not much cop. For a start, it was shut half the time.
Then there was the "Asian Corner Shop Revolution." Oh what a joy. Open 7am till 9pm, plenty of good stuff, a friendly and helpful family to serve you.
My local shop is great. The guy who runs it can chat all day about football (he supports England), cricket (he supports Pakistan), and plenty more besides. Only drawback, he supports Liverpool. Ugh!
His son supplies the shop with home made curries, bhajis etc.cheaper and better than the local takeaway.
At this difficult time, the corner shop is a lifeline. Give it a go.
I have just come back from my corner shop where i ordered 2x chicken biryani for tonights tea. Seven squid and a couple of samosas thrown in. Smashing.

We had a incredible lady called Mabel Williams running our corner shop and as kids would sit on her potatoes sacks to absorb the village gossip and report back home to mother. She gave us 1p drinks of Ben Shaw Burdock in Yogurt cups to satiate our thirst. Mabel had a magical cavern behind the shop where she would disappear into the blackness to fulfill any request tendered. "A bag of 3" nails please Mabel". "Flat heads or galvanized" came back her reply. She had everything a village could ever wish for and more. Everything back then was sourced in the village because not many folk had cars or the money to travel.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.