The David Makin interview

SWP's back said:
I don't neccesarily agree with you on that point. I would have until 2 season's ago, but not anymore. I go and watch my nephew play football on a Saturday morning in Lancaster when I visit my folks. When he first started going as a 4 year old, he was conspicuous by the fact that he was the only one in a City kit. I managed to bob down there last weekend and there were 6 of them in god's own blue (out of 4 pitches of 7 a side). I know it is not conclusive and purely anecdotal, but it was certainly noticable in the rag and pool stronghold.

Keep investing and keep winning things and the trend will continue, certainly in manchester.

Worth a thread on its own, this, in fact I did one some time ago.

You can see the effect that the period of this interview had on our support amongst our own fans, this forum being a good barometer. For most of our fans in their late teens, twenties and even early 30s there is this "reds under the bed" fear: Everyone's a "rag", "rags" are going to come and spoil our parade, our stewards are "rags" etc. There's this inbuild paranoia that everyone supports United which doesnt exist amongst the older generation.

I honestly don't know if we are turning the tide with the local kids or not, but I'm happy to take your word. Success wll surely help further. A personal bugbear of mine is the atmospehre in the stadium: kids want noise not cheesey games. I belive moving the away fans, even just accross the south stand, will attract more kids to want to come back.

Didsbury Dave said:
SWP's back said:
I don't neccesarily agree with you on that point. I would have until 2 season's ago, but not anymore. I go and watch my nephew play football on a Saturday morning in Lancaster when I visit my folks. When he first started going as a 4 year old, he was conspicuous by the fact that he was the only one in a City kit. I managed to bob down there last weekend and there were 6 of them in god's own blue (out of 4 pitches of 7 a side). I know it is not conclusive and purely anecdotal, but it was certainly noticable in the rag and pool stronghold.

Keep investing and keep winning things and the trend will continue, certainly in manchester.

You can see the effect that the period of this interview had on our support amongst our own fans, this forum being a good barometer. For most of our fans in their late teens, twenties and even early 30s there is this "reds under the bed" fear: Everyone's a "rag", "rags" are going to come and spoil our parade, our stewards are "rags" etc. There's this inbuild paranoia that everyone supports United which doesnt exist amongst the older generation.

I honestly don't know if we are turning the tide with the local kids or not, but I'm happy to take your word. Success wll surely help further. A personal bugbear of mine is the atmospehre in the stadium: kids want noise not cheesey games. I belive moving the away fans, even just accross the south stand, will attract more kids to want to come back.
The key is when the fans can (more or less) just shrug and go on. When they don't really care what the "rags" say, we're there. I'm not saying our fanbases won't hate each other. There's a difference though and it's hard to put into words. I think it's a distinct lack of fear which will either come if the other side starts doing poorly or both are doing very well.

I hate to drag a U.S. sports metaphor into it, but it's the best I have. United are basically the New York Yankees of football. The Yankees biggest rival are the Red Sox who went 86 years without a title of any sort. (Puts it in perspective doesn't it?) And it's not as if the Red Sox were small time either. They were a good team and at times a great team, but it had never worked out for them. And then in the semifinals in 2004, they went down 0-3 in a best of seven series. Only way back was to win four straight and that had never been done in baseball's history. But they (like us) did it in that semifinal and it carried them to a championship (again like us.) Before that, the hatred from the Red Sox fans was honestly palpable. It was as if they cared more for hurting the Yankees than they did about winning--not to say they didn't want to win, but any Yankee success was like an attack on their very souls. These days, it's like an exorcism has been performed. They still hate the Yankees, but they don't wake up and live their day and go to bed and then dream about the downfall of the Yankees. Now it's about the Red Sox.

City fans owe a great debt of gratitude to Dave Makin (and John Wardle) imo. I agree with everything he said at the time.

Regarding Francis Lee's tenure as chairman and the "Forward with Franny" campaign which ended in bitterness, I don't want to get into that.......just to say,

I saw Franny's debut for City after he signed from Bolton, and most of the games he played in before moving to Derby, (Where he helped them win the league) and he was a blue through and through, a great player, one of his finest games being Newcastle, May 1968.

Nice to see he is back on the scene.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
City fans owe a great debt of gratitude to Dave Makin (and John Wardle) imo. I agree with everything he said at the time.

Regarding Francis Lee's tenure as chairman and the "Forward with Franny" campaign which ended in bitterness, I don't want to get into that.......just to say,

I saw Franny's debut for City after he signed from Bolton, and most of the games he played in before moving to Derby, (Where he helped them win the league) and he was a blue through and through, a great player, one of his finest games being Newcastle, May 1968.

Nice to see he is back on the scene.
Agree good to see Franny back

Do you mean they are not rags after all??? Paranoid....you bet your life we are. And i'm in me 40's!
You infer that it will fade with time.......I fear its too inbeded in some of us. Anyway must go.

Matron......that man is staring at me......probably a rag!!

Remember listening to this on gmr on the way home from the match. Was happy people where finaly hearing the truth about franny, though some people still think he did no wrong for the club.

Think we saw Makin at the semi and then final- both times in the Fusilier boozer. He was wearing his colours and walking amongst us unnoticed

Franny Lee is the reason I support City and my all-time favourite player.

I don't think even he realised how bad things were at the club when he bought out P.J.

Things like City not even owning the club's creat or the shop at Maine Road.

However, I do concede he made mistakes, the most notable of which were the managers he appointed.

And I don't ever remember Franny staying away from the club. I met him and got his autograph in the car park at Maine Road during the KK era.

And, yes, it was great to see him fully invoved with the celebrations on Monday. It's just a shame that the other six members of the cup-winning side were not there.

taconinja said:
Didsbury Dave said:
SWP's back said:

The key is when the fans can (more or less) just shrug and go on. When they don't really care what the "rags" say, we're there. I'm not saying our fanbases won't hate each other. There's a difference though and it's hard to put into words. I think it's a distinct lack of fear which will either come if the other side starts doing poorly or both are doing very well.

I hate to drag a U.S. sports metaphor into it, but it's the best I have. United are basically the New York Yankees of football. The Yankees biggest rival are the Red Sox who went 86 years without a title of any sort. (Puts it in perspective doesn't it?) And it's not as if the Red Sox were small time either. They were a good team and at times a great team, but it had never worked out for them. And then in the semifinals in 2004, they went down 0-3 in a best of seven series. Only way back was to win four straight and that had never been done in baseball's history. But they (like us) did it in that semifinal and it carried them to a championship (again like us.) Before that, the hatred from the Red Sox fans was honestly palpable. It was as if they cared more for hurting the Yankees than they did about winning--not to say they didn't want to win, but any Yankee success was like an attack on their very souls. These days, it's like an exorcism has been performed. They still hate the Yankees, but they don't wake up and live their day and go to bed and then dream about the downfall of the Yankees. Now it's about the Red Sox.
cracking post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.