The Derek Kevan/Jimmy Murray era

As a young teenager in London just getting into football around 1966/67 I remember having some old Charles Buchan Football Monthly annuals. One had a full page picture of Jackie Plenderleith in City colours. He must have been a player from this era. A few years later they ran a centre spread of the 3 trophies team captioned The New Power In The North.

My first game was v Blackpool in 1961, my dad took me along. The two games I really remember was Bert's testimonial in 1964, and the Swindon game (8015) in '65. (Buzzer scored for Swindon).

I also remember Franny's home debut.

I recall waiting an hour outside the main entrance in my school uniform to get Derek Kevan's autograph. My schoolmates were all jealous. lol!

My First ever City game was seeing Derek Kevin score a Hat trick?,against Ipswich in a 4-0 rout ....also went to Bert Trautmann's first testimonial in 64....The Cherry flavoured pipe smoke from behind in the Platt lane end still lingers along with the moaning .

Seem to remember a 4-0 home defeat to Grimsby in that era which sorely tested the loyalty of a twelve-year old. Still proud that I remained steadfast, think what I'd have missed

A great goal scoring partnership, the dream ticket.

Some blasts from the past, Cliff Sear, David (Waggy) Wagstaffe, Dave Bacuzzi, Mike Doyle, Nelly Young, David Connor, Harry Dowd, Alan Ogley, Johnny Crossan, Roy Gratrix, Stan Horne.

I met Stan in Bury a few years back, City's first ever black player, still fit and well, he was surprised I remembered him. :-)

v8k3mt.jpg

And at Maine Road, Invalid Cars at the corner of the pitch on the running track, hot oxo at half time, and the uncovered scoreboard end.

Any memories?
Beswick Prize Band, pre-match and at half-time.. now then, THAT was what I call a ‘matchday experience’.. somebody should tell our marketing department..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.