The drinking culture is concerning Roberto

Citizen Green

I'm all for the stance he has taken, they're s'posed to be top athletes.

Manchester City's drinking culture of great concern to Roberto Mancini
• Four City players filmed at a student party in Scotland
• Joe Hart was involved in a similar incident recently

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini feels that drinking is a problematic issue with many British players. Photograph: Richard Heathcote/Getty Images
Roberto Mancini has expressed his anger about the drinking habits of Manchester City's British players after feeling compelled to warn them about their behaviour for the second time in a fortnight.

Mancini admitted being "unhappy" to discover that Joe Hart, Adam Johnson, Gareth Barry and Shay Given had apparently been drinking into the early hours of Tuesday at a student's house party in St Andrews. A video of the players, who had been on a golfing trip, was subsequently sold to the Sun and, though Mancini has chosen not to watch it, he has been informed that the players look drunk and, surrounded by teenagers cheering them on, are filmed drinking directly from a liqueur bottle.

The pictures have caused embarrassment behind the scenes at City and Mancini has warned the players involved, in particular Hart and Johnson, that he will not tolerate a repeat.

"I just don't understand it," Mancini said. "I told the players my opinion about getting into these situations 10 days ago. This video was on Monday, a day off, so the players can do what they want, but I don't understand why they have chosen to do this and I am unhappy about it. We are playing every three or four days at the moment and it is difficult enough to recover without this."

The point has been made in private to the relevant players, with Mancini particularly concerned about Johnson, having criticised him recently for what he perceives to be an immature attitude, urging him to focus on football rather than allowing himself to be distracted.

Hart's role is unfortunate given that it was a similar incident before the last England game, when he was filmed dancing on a bar during a stag do in Puerto Banus, which led Mancini to speak to his players after the international break.

Barry was with Hart on that occasion as well, and there is a sense of bemusement among City's management that a man of 29 should want to go to a student's house party. The same applies to the 34-year-old Given, with Mancini's anger not related to the fact the players had gone all the way to Scotland but that they had not followed the lead of James Milner, who was on the same trip but elected not to go out drinking.

"It's a cultural thing," Mancini said. "This is not a problem only for us, it is a problem for many British players. I read that Aston Villa had the same problem, for example. It was a day off and the players can go where they want but when we are playing every three days the players need to know it's important they recover well between games."

Mancini was asked about Johnson's involvement coming so soon after his recent comments about the player's lifestyle. "Johnson is young," the Italian replied, but he was not willing to divulge what punishments would be meted out if there were a repeat. He would not say whether he intends to follow Harry Redknapp at Tottenham by banning his players from nights out drinking. "I want to resolve this problem in the dressing room not here [at a press conference] because here is not good."

The fit-again Mario Balotelli, signed from Internazionale for £25m in August, could make his first start for City tomorrow at Wolverhampton Wanderers, with Carlos Tevez missing because of a thigh injury.

Tevez, described as homesick, has been given special dispensation to fly back to Argentina, with the club eager to do all they can to help their leading scorer cope with being away from his family.

"He has never spoken to me about it but it is normal in football that when you are in another country for a long time you miss your family and your country," Mancini said. "But his job is here and it is a fantastic job, and I don't think there is a problem. He asked if he could go back to Argentina to sort out some personal problems and he will have treatment there with the Argentinian [national team] masseur."

Tevez will miss Thursday's Europa League tie against Lech Poznan but Mancini said he hopes his captain will be fit for the game at West Bromwich Albion next weekend.

Have to agree with him ......

even though it's their own time they have to understand that incidents such as this reflect on the club , in the same way that Rooneys sex antics affected the rags ......

players are on too much money now to throw their jobs away , but that's exactly what they will do if they carry on in this vein.

black mamba said:

even though it's their own time they have to understand that incidents such as this reflect on the club , in the same way that Rooneys sex antics affected the rags ......

players are on too much money now to throw their jobs away , but that's exactly what they will do if they carry on in this vein.
i agree, i'm definitely in the 'they have short careers and are athletes so they should look after themselves' camp

but we all know this goes on up and down the country, yet its only our club regularly in the papers recently over this issue

I dont think it does " go on up and down the country", Sure at certain clubs, but deffo not all of them.

Two types of players............ winners and party heads. Personally i'd write it into the contract of players that they can't go out bringing the good name of the club etc into disrepute.

Not good im afraid and its the same old culprits again!

squirtyflower said:
black mamba said:

i agree, i'm definitely in the 'they have short careers and are athletes so they should look after themselves' camp

but we all know this goes on up and down the country, yet its only our club regularly in the papers recently over this issue

It probably does go on at other clubs , but they are not in the media spotlight in the way that this club currently is ...... so if it's happening at say , Wolves or Birmingham , i doubt if it would get highlighted in the way that the media are doing with City ...... they are waiting to pounce on us at every opportunity because of the money we have spent .. we know it , Mancini knows it , and the players should certainly be aware of it too.

what pissed me off about this whole thing is that they did this after a 3-0 loss to arsenal, you'd think after that they'de be itching to rest, train and improve but they chose to party. Kind of sad when you think of the expectations us fans have for our team which is in dire need of a trophy after 30 years of pain.

squirtyflower said:
so its not the drinking that's wrong, but the fact that its being plastered over the papers?

I suppose if the players went out for a quiet drink , few people would kick up a fuss about it ....... but turning up at loud student parties , and dancing on tables at other times is bound to draw attention (and the critics) to the players antics ....... there is always someone around who will make sure that the media get to know about it!

Look at Rooney ... he can't even have a bonk with his fancy piece in peace!

The likes of Hart and Johnson have attracted promising England recognition here , and will be on pretty good money ...... why risk throwing it all away ?

i'll bet Paul Gascoigne wishes he could turn back time!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.