The drinking culture is concerning Roberto

It's a fact that alcohol affects the body in numerous ways and not just the short term next morning hangover.

Unbelieveable amounts of time and money are spent trying to squeeze every bit of performance from players - using hi-tech clothing, boots, strictly controlled diets and training schedules. So what do they do - go out and get pissed up and make the whole process pretty pointless.

All that is asked of them is that they drink responsibly and behave prooperly whilst in the public eye. There is the argument that they are young men who want to go out and enjoy themselves. Fair enough if they are production line workers or office staff - but these aren't - they are paid more a week than a lot of young men their age earn in five years! If they want to live the 'lads' life then go and get a job that doesn't need you to be at their absolute best all of the time. They can't have it both ways.

There are so many people complaining about the bad press we're getting. The players have been asked to keep out of the limelight and avoid more nonsense in the press - so what do they do the next week? Go to a student party and do the opposite of what they've been asked not to bringing more stupid stories about the club and it's players to the fore.

The comment about being another Giggs not being one of the lads - how old is he - almost 37? Still playing regularly for a club that finished second in the PL and are in the CL when most players his age have dropped to a lower league, smaller club or even packed in. Same for Scholes.

There's a respect issue here - the manager has asked them not to do something and the very next week they do precisely what they were asked not to. As far as I'm concerned, when you're paid as much as these lot are for playing something that most of us do/have done for nothing for many years, you do as your told - end of. If you don't want to do it go and find a job that doesn't require you to look after yourself so much.

Mancini has been brought in for his ability to deal with things both on and off the pitch. He said that part of the problem with this club when he arrived was the attitude of the players. He has shown that he will not tolerate any nonsense from his players. Macini demands 100% commitment and focus - he has said so - he won't tolerate any less. If some players, notably AJ, don't start to toe the line I can see disciplinary action and, consideriing what he's done so far to change attitudes and cementing our place in the 'big four', I'd be 100% behind anything he decided on. One bad apple and all that.

daveduke67 said:
It's a fact that alcohol affects the body in numerous ways and not just the short term next morning hangover.

Unbelieveable amounts of time and money are spent trying to squeeze every bit of performance from players - using hi-tech clothing, boots, strictly controlled diets and training schedules. So what do they do - go out and get pissed up and make the whole process pretty pointless.

All that is asked of them is that they drink responsibly and behave prooperly whilst in the public eye. There is the argument that they are young men who want to go out and enjoy themselves. Fair enough if they are production line workers or office staff - but these aren't - they are paid more a week than a lot of young men their age earn in five years! If they want to live the 'lads' life then go and get a job that doesn't need you to be at their absolute best all of the time. They can't have it both ways.

There are so many people complaining about the bad press we're getting. The players have been asked to keep out of the limelight and avoid more nonsense in the press - so what do they do the next week? Go to a student party and do the opposite of what they've been asked not to bringing more stupid stories about the club and it's players to the fore.

The comment about being another Giggs not being one of the lads - how old is he - almost 37? Still playing regularly for a club that finished second in the PL and are in the CL when most players his age have dropped to a lower league, smaller club or even packed in. Same for Scholes.

There's a respect issue here - the manager has asked them not to do something and the very next week they do precisely what they were asked not to. As far as I'm concerned, when you're paid as much as these lot are for playing something that most of us do/have done for nothing for many years, you do as your told - end of. If you don't want to do it go and find a job that doesn't require you to look after yourself so much.

Mancini has been brought in for his ability to deal with things both on and off the pitch. He said that part of the problem with this club when he arrived was the attitude of the players. He has shown that he will not tolerate any nonsense from his players. Macini demands 100% commitment and focus - he has said so - he won't tolerate any less. If some players, notably AJ, don't start to toe the line I can see disciplinary action and, consideriing what he's done so far to change attitudes and cementing our place in the 'big four', I'd be 100% behind anything he decided on. One bad apple and all that.

Well said Sire

I have watched the Scotland/student 'video' and to be honest, whilst I don't approve of players getting off their heads drunk, I do not think that they look drunk. The people around them do but I thought that Barry looked blooming bewildered rather than drunk. Just my opinion.

But I really like the club's attitude about all the papers on the OS; especially the last paragraph but even more so the last line:

"If there are two things that sate the tabloids when they are on a feeding frenzy it is sex and booze.
When one of those subjects is attached to football they are able to gorge all the more so it is no surprise that having been asked about his players’ habits on their days off, Roberto Mancini’s answers have been used in full this morning.

It is no great shock either that the headlines – sub-editors can be the bane of a writer’s life – are 100% proof of alcohol leading to hyperbole!

‘Mancini slams football’s booze culture’ rages the Times; ‘Mancini pleads with City stars to give up drink’, reports the Independent; ‘Mancini rage at Boozers’, declares the Sun; ‘Party’s over’, reckons the Mail; ‘Last chance saloon’, booms the Mirror; ‘Booze ‘n you lose’, advises the Star; ‘The partying’s over, Mancini tells stars’, says the Telegraph; and finally, ‘Mancini is calling for last orders,’ confirms the Express.

Take your pick!

The Sun, whose video of City stars at play – on a day off it has to be stressed – sparked today’s round of stories has a mostly pro-Mancini piece written by former England coach Terry Venables.

‘The Manchester City boss has made only one mistake this season and that was packing Craig Bellamy off to Cardiff. Everything else he has got spot on,’ reckons Tel.

‘He has spent owner Sheikh Mansour’s money wisely and assembled a talented squad. He has made them tough to beat on the road... and he has helped transform City into serious title contenders.’

Elsewhere, in the Mirror, Mark Lawrenson praises Mancini’s man management of Carlos Tevez, whilst several other publications link Roque Santa Cruz with a January move to Fulham and the Star reckons we are chasing Sunderland’s Jordan Henderson.

Finally the Mail continues its campaign to make sure all Premier League sides wear poppies on their shirts over Remembrance weekend.

‘Manchester City have yet to confirm their support for Remembrance weekend but the Eastlands club are expected to wear a poppy logo as they did last year,’ they say.

Manchester City can confirm to our fans that as always we will honour appropriately those who fought in wars for this country - and those who continue to fight for this country - and we will continue to build the strongest of ties with the Royal British Legion as we have done for many years.

What we will not do is announce everything through national newspapers."

Well said City. Let them all rant and rage we will just carry on in our own sweet way!!

daveduke67 said:

Abso-fucking-lutely spot-on.

Absolutely 100% spot-on.

daveduke67 said:

Well said, bang on.

Total storm in a teacup I don't necessarily approve of the players getting wasted on drink and if they were doing it week in and week out then clearly that's out of order.

However, I don't believe there is an endemic drinking culture at City. I have seen both Barry and Bridge on nights out with mates and both have been on soft drinks and sober as judges.

They are entitled to go out of an evening if they choose to. Yes they are footballers, yes they are athletes but they are allowed a life outside of football.

One boozy night every now and again is not the end of the world.

Blue Mooner said:
Total storm in a teacup I don't necessarily approve of the players getting wasted on drink and if they were doing it week in and week out then clearly that's out of order.

However, I don't believe there is an endemic drinking culture at City. I have seen both Barry and Bridge on nights out with mates and both have been on soft drinks and sober as judges.

They are entitled to go out of an evening if they choose to. Yes they are footballers, yes they are athletes but they are allowed a life outside of football.

One boozy night every now and again is not the end of the world.
It is if it's in the middle of the season.

Shows a lack of seriousness on behalf of any player / "athlete".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.