The English Pirlo. That man from Hastings

I may be a bit slow but I've begun to see more and more of his value. I typically notice more when he's out (why can't we hold the ball!?!?!) than when he's in...things just seem to settle.

Blue Elmo said:
Calm, cool and collected. Gareth Barry may do his job very quietly, but he does it very efficiently and effectively.

Summed him up perfectly there.

Great thread and overdue, Gareth Barry might not be Pirlo but worthwhile pointing out Pirlo plays his football at 75% pace of the Premiership.
Trust me, if fit, Barry is one of the first 5 names on the team sheet.
As for the doubters on here most couldn't find their arse with their finger and measure a player's value to the team in; how much they cost, what they look like or how much they sweat during a match.

I think the scene in Bluemoon Rising where Mancini is having English lessons tells you what Bobby thinks of him. When the lady asks him to name a player in the squad, he doesn't say Tevez. He doesn't say Adebayor. He doesn't say Bellamy. He doesn't say Kompany. He doesn't say any "big" players in the squad, he says "Can I be Gareth Barry?".

Like it or not, Barry is here and staying.

He gets picked a lot because he's Mr Consistency. Managers know they can rely on him to get a 7/10 every week with a few 8 and 9s thrown in (usually in the big games).

If you look at how many tackles and interceptions he puts in to win the ball back you can see it's the combination of him and De Jong that give City arguably the most powerful midfield in the league. Not forgetting Yaya's attacking contribution.

People exaggerate his lack of pace too much imo, still much quicker than someone like Hamann or Bosvelt and also reads the game very well so rarely gets caught out.

He is still rightly high up in the pecking order as so far he's performed very well for City (better than Milner for example)

good read and interesting thread. He is certainly enigmatic and often overlooked.
Checking the nerd stats it's suprising to find that Barrys passing is regularly more consistent than De Jong or even Silva and much more varied than you'd expect, far from mainly short sideways knocks.
He nearly always gets in a handful of telling interceptions and clearances and even more suprisingly matches De Jong for successful tackles in most matches.
Took me a while to fully appreciate but i think he is without doubt a very skilled all-round footballer who is a vital part of the team & would be hard to replace.
Even harder would be the combination of Barry & NDJ !

Roy Hamilton said:
good read and interesting thread. He is certainly enigmatic and often overlooked.
Checking the nerd stats it's suprising to find that Barrys passing is regularly more consistent than De Jong or even Silva and much more varied than you'd expect, far from mainly short sideways knocks.
He nearly always gets in a handful of telling interceptions and clearances and even more suprisingly matches De Jong for successful tackles in most matches.
Took me a while to fully appreciate but i think he is without doubt a very skilled all-round footballer who is a vital part of the team & would be hard to replace.

finally spot on, spread the word to one or two who just think he is total dog shit but obviously don't watch or bother to appreciate his role within the team!

Roy Hamilton said:

Great post - he has the best passing RANGE at city.

Anyone else been defending his corner at work etc over the past few years? All i get is, as bad as Carrick. Some people really do not understand football and tactics.

I often find myself having to stick up for Barry amongst other blues.
He's an easy scapegoat I suppose. Maybe becuase most of the compliments you can give him for one reason or another are seen as cliché.

Barry allways makes himself available to recieve a simple pass.
He's probably one of our best readers of the game.
He has a solid engine and is in peak health.
He's not easily knocked off the ball.
He has a decent shot.
He pressures players and closes them down. (Rio in the fa cup is a good example)
Knows when to take the foul.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.