The Etihad stadium experience - first impressions

Atmosphere against Hull was very poor but it was decent against Newcastle. I agree that it is piss poor people rolling into their seats well after kick off.

As for the pre-match and halftime entertainment, I couldn't care less. The BT /City Square represents more effort than most Clubs go to. The seats are quite spacious compared to the cramped swamp .

In a nutshell, we need more passionate fans. Half the crowd still haven't got over winning the league.

The new owners have brought a large chunk of this cheese in, or atleast the people they're employed have.

Quite simply guys... They want Families.
This X Factor type of entertainment but tied in with the Football.

They don't want the traditional crowd, the Blues who have been following City since whenever.

Best way to get rid of us all?
Keep doing the shit we hate the most.... crappy cheesefest atmosphere with some American Idol winner singing Bluemoon.

Welcome Simon Cowell.

I think the cheesy X factor style bollocks was a total and utter failure, but on the positive side at least the club tried something different. I have to admit though it's a bit worrying that someone thought something so awful would be appreciated by the fans.
Also, if the club want to mess around with Blue Moon, why not stick to the up tempo versions because the rest sound like dirges and are much slower than the version sung by fans.
The best pre-match atmosphere I can remember was for the last derby at Maine Road when the PA system failed fifteen minutes before kick-off and two sets of fans sang abuse at each other before the game.
Some people say we don't have enough fans willing to sing, but before the cup tie at the swamp about 8 years ago they had to turn the PA up to maximum before the game as the City fans were drowning out the home fans and the pre-match "music".
So let's look at a few facts:
Fans turn up late for early kick-offs such as the Hull game. It always happens.
Fans also turn up late because they can get a pint of frothy, shite lager or frothy, shite smoothflow bitter far cheaper in the pubs near the ground than in the ground itself. If you drink proper beer you have an extra pint in the pub because it's not available in the ground.
If your gang is split between T1 and the other tiers you go in late because you can't meet up inside the ground. If your gang is split by the corporate bits of T2 you go in late because you can't cross the corporate bit unless you go up a spiral, across the T3 concourse and then down another spiral.
But the thread title is The Etihad Stadiun - First Impressions, so I'll give you mine:
Four of us were having a pint an a Friday night and one of the gang said they were going to the club shop on the Saturday. This was about three or four weeks before the opening game and we all decided to go along as none had been during the Commonwealth Games.
Some of the ground level louvres were open and I think some of the interior walls on the T1 concourse were still to be finished so we got a decent view of a sea of sky blue seats. It was magnificent. I went back a couple of weeks later for some sort of trial evacuation exercise and again for the official pre-season look around. If my first impression looking in from outside was "magnificent" then words can't describe seeing the ground from the seating areas.
Just to return to the atmosphere though. It wasn't always that great at Maine Road was it? It may have been when we were getting 30,000 in the third division and walking to promotion under Keegan but go back to the late 80s and mid 90s and you'll remember a different story.

East Level 2 said:
I think the cheesy X factor style bollocks was a total and utter failure, but on the positive side at least the club tried something different. I have to admit though it's a bit worrying that someone thought something so awful would be appreciated by the fans.
Also, if the club want to mess around with Blue Moon, why not stick to the up tempo versions because the rest sound like dirges and are much slower than the version sung by fans.
The best pre-match atmosphere I can remember was for the last derby at Maine Road when the PA system failed fifteen minutes before kick-off and two sets of fans sang abuse at each other before the game.
Some people say we don't have enough fans willing to sing, but before the cup tie at the swamp about 8 years ago they had to turn the PA up to maximum before the game as the City fans were drowning out the home fans and the pre-match "music".
So let's look at a few facts:
Fans turn up late for early kick-offs such as the Hull game. It always happens.
Fans also turn up late because they can get a pint of frothy, shite lager or frothy, shite smoothflow bitter far cheaper in the pubs near the ground than in the ground itself. If you drink proper beer you have an extra pint in the pub because it's not available in the ground.
If your gang is split between T1 and the other tiers you go in late because you can't meet up inside the ground. If your gang is split by the corporate bits of T2 you go in late because you can't cross the corporate bit unless you go up a spiral, across the T3 concourse and then down another spiral.
But the thread title is The Etihad Stadiun - First Impressions, so I'll give you mine:
Four of us were having a pint an a Friday night and one of the gang said they were going to the club shop on the Saturday. This was about three or four weeks before the opening game and we all decided to go along as none had been during the Commonwealth Games.
Some of the ground level louvres were open and I think some of the interior walls on the T1 concourse were still to be finished so we got a decent view of a sea of sky blue seats. It was magnificent. I went back a couple of weeks later for some sort of trial evacuation exercise and again for the official pre-season look around. If my first impression looking in from outside was "magnificent" then words can't describe seeing the ground from the seating areas.
Just to return to the atmosphere though. It wasn't always that great at Maine Road was it? It may have been when we were getting 30,000 in the third division and walking to promotion under Keegan but go back to the late 80s and mid 90s and you'll remember a different story.

Exactly. I've been on Maine Road, in the early sixties particularly, and there would have been a better atmosphere if I'd wandered round the granite headstones at Southern Cemetery!

It's wank, it's a rip off, it's modern football and it's not likely to change. Either pay to go or don't, I was close to knocking it on the head last season, but decided to take my lad for a new type of "match experience". He seems to be enjoying himself so far, but I feel sorry for him that this is now what football is.

Well I went along for the football not the entertainment. It was the club that put on the entertainment. I just didn't find it entertaining and thought it rather killed any atmosphere there might have been. I know it was 'only' Hull but as it turned out they gave us quite a game so nothing should be taken as granted.

Here's the Chelsea fans doing The Liquidator.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUaY4MYvdlM[/youtube]

A big match, much bigger than the Hull game granted but it is something the whole crowd can get behind very easily. I also remember them doing it at the FA Cup semi. It was their 'tune'. That was followed by the City 'tune' which was some dirge that I didn't recognise and that no one in the City end seemed to take any notice of. Room for improvement there. Has anyone nabbed Return of Django yet?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4v8kgw-HlU[/youtube]

We're City, we're top of the league
We're City, top of the league

We're City and we're top of the league
We're City and we're top, top, top of the league

and so on

Plaything of the gods said:
Well I went along for the football not the entertainment. It was the club that put on the entertainment. I just didn't find it entertaining and thought it rather killed any atmosphere there might have been. I know it was 'only' Hull but as it turned out they gave us quite a game so nothing should be taken as granted.

Here's the Chelsea fans doing The Liquidator.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUaY4MYvdlM[/youtube]

A big match, much bigger than the Hull game granted but it is something the whole crowd can get behind very easily. I also remember them doing it at the FA Cup semi. It was their 'tune'. That was followed by the City 'tune' which was some dirge that I didn't recognise and that no one in the City end seemed to take any notice of. Room for improvement there. Has anyone nabbed Return of Django yet?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4v8kgw-HlU[/youtube]

We're City, we're top of the league

We're City and we're top, top, top of the league

and so on

'The Boys In Blue' NEEDS TO COME BACK FFS! miss this song so much

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzPeyuAgsKg[/youtube]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.