The fans are bigger at Spurs

We are the form team of the league, check the form guide. We had a bad day yesterday, a mixture of City being better than us, but also I feel we didn't really turn up. How much is one or the other is always impossible to decipher. I'm certainly not worried, we have an excellent defense, midfield and attack. Its why we are currently second in the league. Being out played at City yet still not losing isn't going to give me sleepless nights.

You wasn't allowed to turn up. We pressured you from the off and bar bad decision making and finishing,
it could have ended up like the good old days (5-1,6-0,6-1).

Did Bale, Modric,Berbatov, Carrick and Sol Campbell see Spurs as a big club that can compete for trophies and match their ambitions? Nope.

Do we think Kane, Alli and co will stay at Spurs if one of the big boys put money on the table? nope.

Spurs are apparently a bigger club than us but couldn't afford to pay all of Adabayor's wages when they came cap in hand for a player.

My dad's bigger than your dad you sad bastards who gives a fuck. Hate spurs with a passion deluded ain't the word just wait till we take dele alli next season :)

Most deluded fans in the country. I was actually born in 1961, the last time that they won the league and that was a very, very, long time ago. In 1960 Burnley were champions,in 1962 it was Ipswich under their bright young manager Alf Ramsey. The Berlin Wall had yet to be erected when they last were champions. Just to bring a little context into the discussion like. European giants don't go 56 years and counting between titles. They haven't finished in the top 2 since 1963 for FFS.

When I was a kid they were the second club in London. Now they are without doubt number three. Their jealousy for ourselves and Chelsea knows no bounds. The ironic thing? We're the fifth largest club in the world based on the latest Deloitte League and yet ask most City fans how big we are and most would answer on a par with Everton and ... Spurs. Maybe that's because we're not up ourselves? Let Glenn Hoddle delude himself that the FA Cup was bigger than the League in the 1980s, LOL, and that Spurs cretin that posted that the UEFA Cup was bigger than the European Cup back in the day, yer right. It's quite sad really. They should be pitied.

I think you've dropped a bit of a bollock here, mate. It was your manager who came out and said Spurs are a bigger club. It wasn't City fans who started this conversation.

You talk about us "not being able to fill our stadium" well we're averaging over 54,000 this season, the last time you got that many was 1951.

Even before the "Abu Dhabi billions" we were averaging over 45,000. The last time Tottenham had that many was 1963.

Congratulations on selling out the national stadium which is 3 miles from your home ground. A great achievement. City still hold the English record for the highest ever attendance at our home ground of 84,569. A record that has stood for over 80 years and will possibly never be beaten.

You want to talk about "plastic" fans. Let's have a look at our average attendance when we fell to our lowest ever ebb in 1998 when we dropped in to the third division. We averaged 28,196. In the same season Spurs were in the PL and your average was 29,143.

No idea what parallel universe you were living in when the UEFA Cup was the equivalent of the Champions League, but it actually never happened in real life.

City and Spurs are traditionally similar sized clubs, similar sized fan bases. I'm not going to sit here and say City are a much bigger club. But in 2017 on what possible metric are Spurs bigger? More UEFA Cup wins? City in 2017 are a bigger draw for top players, we're more well known around the world, there really is no debate about that.

Is our rapid progress down to Sheikh Mansour's investment? Of course it is. But does that mean it doesn't count? We're not big because we've been invested in? It's the kind of absurd thinking that comes in to consciousness because of nonesense peddled on social media.

Same as the "Emptyhad" nonesense, despite the facts showing we're at 98% capacity. Time to start looking at the facts and thinking for yourself mate instead of believing everything you read on social media.
I like you.

This is the same man that said that it wasn't a penalty on Raheem Sterling even though his own player admitted pushing him. It's safe to say he doesn't have the strongest grip on reality.

Most deluded fans in the country. I was actually born in 1961, the last time that they won the league and that was a very, very, long time ago. In 1960 Burnley were champions,in 1962 it was Ipswich under their bright young manager Alf Ramsey. The Berlin Wall had yet to be erected when they last were champions. Just to bring a little context into the discussion like. European giants don't go 56 years and counting between titles. They haven't finished in the top 2 since 1963 for FFS.

When I was a kid they were the second club in London. Now they are without doubt number three. Their jealousy for ourselves and Chelsea knows no bounds. The ironic thing? We're the fifth largest club in the world based on the latest Deloitte League and yet ask most City fans how big we are and most would answer on a par with Everton and ... Spurs. Maybe that's because we're not up ourselves? Let Glenn Hoddle delude himself that the FA Cup was bigger than the League in the 1980s, LOL, and that Spurs cretin that posted that the UEFA Cup was bigger than the European Cup back in the day, yer right. It's quite sad really. They should be pitied.
When was the last time they won anything does anybody know??????

I think you've dropped a bit of a bollock here, mate. It was your manager who came out and said Spurs are a bigger club. It wasn't City fans who started this conversation.

You talk about us "not being able to fill our stadium" well we're averaging over 54,000 this season, the last time you got that many was 1951.

Even before the "Abu Dhabi billions" we were averaging over 45,000. The last time Tottenham had that many was 1963.

Congratulations on selling out the national stadium which is 3 miles from your home ground. A great achievement. City still hold the English record for the highest ever attendance at our home ground of 84,569. A record that has stood for over 80 years and will possibly never be beaten.

You want to talk about "plastic" fans. Let's have a look at our average attendance when we fell to our lowest ever ebb in 1998 when we dropped in to the third division. We averaged 28,196. In the same season Spurs were in the PL and your average was 29,143.

No idea what parallel universe you were living in when the UEFA Cup was the equivalent of the Champions League, but it actually never happened in real life.

City and Spurs are traditionally similar sized clubs, similar sized fan bases. I'm not going to sit here and say City are a much bigger club. But in 2017 on what possible metric are Spurs bigger? More UEFA Cup wins? City in 2017 are a bigger draw for top players, we're more well known around the world, there really is no debate about that.

Is our rapid progress down to Sheikh Mansour's investment? Of course it is. But does that mean it doesn't count? We're not big because we've been invested in? It's the kind of absurd thinking that comes in to consciousness because of nonesense peddled on social media.

Same as the "Emptyhad" nonesense, despite the facts showing we're at 98% capacity. Time to start looking at the facts and thinking for yourself mate instead of believing everything you read on social media.

giphy.gif

IMO Spurs are a pretty big club and I've considered them as such ever since I was growing up as a kid in the 80's so I'm not going to go gobbing off about who is bigger. In terms of trophy count, they have more to be fair.

In terms of attendances though, while theirs have been decent enough down the years, it's interesting to note that back in the 1980's when crowds were a lot lower compared to today, both Spurs and Arsenal recorded lower league crowds during that decade than City's lowest despite the fact that they were ever presents in the top flight throughout the 80's while we spent 4 out of 10 seasons in the 2nd division.

Our lowest league crowd in the 80's was 15000+ for a night match against Millwall in Division 2 in September 1987. From memory, Arsenal recorded a league crowd of only 13000+ a few years earlier despite being 3rd in the league at the time. Here's a link to Spurs' 1985-86 season: http://www.topspurs.com/8586.htm
Check out some of their attendances - less than 10000 for a league game against Birmingham towards the end of the season.

If I'm not mistaken, despite spending 40% of that decade outside the top flight, out of all the clubs in England only United and Liverpool recorded a higher "lowest league crowd" than City. 3 of the so-called "Big 5" at the time (Arsenal, Spurs, and Everton) saw their league crowds drop lower than ours.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.