The fans let our team and manager down

The club has become richer, but the fanbase certainly hasn't. Most families are worse off now than they were during the 90's and earlier 00's, accounting for inflation and the economic climate. In contrast with this the cost of going to football matches has relentlessly increased. Given that we started off as very much a working class football club and I think a lot of passionate fans struggle to afford games.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2050261/Free-Chelsea-Champions-League-tickets-scupper-protest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... otest.html</a>

i went all the time in the 80s to watch the likes of the super Jim Tolmie.

Did my tour duty also.

Now, id much rather go into the pub to watch the City games.
Not interested in going.

It seems silly to sing songs and hero-worship players that are nothing more than polished turds when your in your forties.

Jim Tolmie, Bobby Mac, Kazi Deyna and Nial Quinn excused.

cheddar404 said:
danburge82 said:
In the Champions League i've been amazed at our lack of support for the team.

The lack of buzz around the ground and in the stands before the game is very apparent. Against Napoli - our first ever CL game last season - it actually struck me that people didn't actually seem that excited. The five games we've played at home in the CL have felt no bigger than an early round FL Cup tie against Swindon. Then throughout the game we've had pretty much nowt apart from the odd chant going round the ground.

It's really made me think that the Champions League really isn't all that, at all. I thought it was the be all and end all of this sport, something really special...it isn't, though. Or at least hasn't felt that way.

I watched Celtic last night and they are on a different planet to us. That looked and sounded like a Champions League game. And it's not even like they've never played there before - they've played in it loads and beaten some very good teams, in 2008 they got to the Quarter Finals. Contrasting that, we've played five home CL games and you'd think we could take it or leave it, like it's not important to us.

I think English fans are quiet on the whole (with a few exceptions - Derby, Palace, Stoke sometimes, Spurs sometimes, Sunderland sometimes) but i thought, with us being in a competition we once only dreamed of being part of, we (a usually quiet set of fans) would even make some sort of racket. But...no!

If the OP is a Rag; so what?! Is he lying that our CL support is w@nk? No, he isn't! If he's come on here for a bit of a sad p!ss take then he's a bit of a knob, but the actual substance behind it is actually true.

Because we've never been in it, I've always thought the Champions League is a load of contrived, commercial bollocks. To some extent I still feel the same now. It's a nice treat on top of the stuff that really matters like the Premier League. Am I that arsed about us going out? Well, a bit, yes but I'd happily go out of the group stages with 0 points if it meant us winning the league.
I just can't get enthusiastic about it as a tournament yet. Maybe it would change if we got a taste of the knockout stage or if we win the Premier League a few times, who knows? I'm seriously thinking of opting out next year and saving myself £100+.

I agree with you 100% about the Champions League

Going back to the atmosphere, I feel it may have something to do with the away support. They are positioned in between to sections of standing fans (where atmosphere is possible), they are right behind the goal and don't stop singing as a result its very hard for any City songs to get started

Blue Mooner said:
Just what is up with our support ?

We spent 44 years waiting for our club to battle it out in footballs elite competition, the Champions League, (or it's precursor the European Cup) and no sooner are we presented with the opportunity our fans treat the occasion with contempt, like its a game against Wigan in the premier league or carling cup.

We don't sell out, yet we can sell out a 3rd round cup tie against the rags in the FA Cup (You have to question therefore what motivates a proportion of our fans) for me Dortmund in the Champs league is a way bigger game.

Those that do turn up (some credit here) and then the atmosphere is as flat as a pancake with no passion for the team or the occasion. I'm sorry but 40,000 in a champs league game against Ajax is embarrassing.

Celtic showed what can happen with 'real' passionate support behind you that nothing is impossible. We, let our players and our team down.

We have one game against Real Madrid to turn our reputation around, albeit sadly I fear too late. We 'the fans' didn't turn up. If you're a regular who didn't go, but decided to watch it on the tele - hang your head in shame.

Its easy to come on here and slag this player or the manager - but just what did you do to help the team come through !? My guess is the majority moaning did absolutely jack sh*t.

I sing, every game, most of the time its wasted breath but I still turn up and sing. If you go to the game it's what you should do, it's about our reputation as fans and it's about helping OUR team get the outcome we want.

As I say, we have one last chance to show our players what pulling on the blue shirt in a champions league means to us - the fans. If you are a blue, be there, and GET BEHIND THE TEAM.

Blue army.

Not gonna go through 17 pages but whole heartedly agree with you, but alas Ive been mocked before for stating this - too many home games, too close to xmas, to close to holidays, too late at night - well its crap excuses. Thats the difference between being a fan and being a supporter.

I'll be honest I think it's too expensive. I can afford a Wigan game but 45 buff against Madrid. I just canny afford to be going to a game regularly. I think if we are struggling to qualify they should drop the price and pack the stadium! Bad PR!

Its probably some number cruncher at the club working out what City can charge, e.g 40k @ £35 or 45k @ £30. As long as they make the most money its a pat on the back for that person. The club are squeezing the last penny out of most of us. The spurs ticket prices are crazy £52, its on poppy day @1.30 live on sky. No wonder theyve some returns for sale. We need a banner like the Ajax fans had. "Dont price out our loyalty" any others?

BuckersMCFC said:
Bad news when you want us to be more like Celtic fans!! On a par with Rags.

Celtic was undoubtedly a fantastic atmosphere, but without Rangers in the same division, the opportunity to play possibly the greatest team in football history, was always going to be their only big game of the season. Let's see how great their atmosphere is for the next home match when they host some caledonian cardboard cut-outs from Cowdenbeath.

As for City our progress has overtaken our ageing fan base and we just don't have the bandwagon support that fills the ground for the cup matches. This will slowly change over a period of time as it did in the mid 70s, ten years after our rapid rise under Mercer and Allison.

That's the way it works.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.