The 'finisher' argument

I think we have several good finishers throughout the squad. Problem is we are always trying to score a perfect team goal! The amount of times players try and lay it off or walk it in the net has become so infuriating. Just get the ball, look up and fuckin' bladder it!
We just seem to over think it at times mate, probably score 6 next time out

More often for me it's the final ball rather than the finishing itself. That one today where Sterling runs through. A few months ago he would have buried that, but he's obviously low on confidence so instead he passes it to Gundogan, but the pass isn't great and it's onto Gudogan's weaker foot so he's off balance and blazes it over. There have been a few where the finishing isn't great or someone doesn't shoot because the pass into them isn't as slick as it was last season, so it's slightly behind them, or they have to adjust more.

Aguero isnt the issue his figures stack up , Jesus has amazing stats as well , we score more goals than any other Premier league side every season , we smash teams in the cups as well but when we are playing in a tight game we have come up short several times this season , Pep must be tearing his hair out (what's left of it :) he is giving the team the tactics and coaching to do the job we create so many chances , i really dont have the answer , we are either very careless or unlucky.

Rather than blame individuals, which I think is too easy, I think we should look at the style of misses that we have. We have repeated instances of players running headlong into tight situations but still going on and on and shooting, even when they are increasingly off balance or the angle has become harder. Similarly, we have instances of players squaring the ball rather than shooting, often to surprised colleagues, or with passes so misguided that the opportunity is lost. We also have crosses to the back post that find players in plenty of space but who are not running on to the ball and thus cannot direct powerful headers on target. Goals should often come as the result of a sweeping movement, yet many of our misses come when the ball ultimately arrives at someone who is static.

Far too often we see players in the box who have their heads down looking at the ball and are simply unaware of what else might be on. When I watch Barcelona, their attackers are continually looking and almost know instinctively where their partners are (don't sense that with us), and they play more one-touch passes in the box so as to exploit the space.

What we don't have, however, are players who are willing to gamble on getting across the defender and attack the front post. Time and again a ball is played in and nobody makes that run; Lineker would have had 50 goals a season playing with us.

There is plenty that can be done on the training ground to resolve this.

Haaland is playing in a very poor league. Whatever, if you say something like that it implies you think that the problem lies with our striker(s).

Are City fans really prepared to move Aguero on?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.