The forgotten few

'Ruby' Murray?
The partnership between Murray and Kevan did not last to long, but they scored an awful lot of goals between them. I loved them. Mind you, I saw Derek once play a game where City played at least 20 balls up to him, and not one stuck. I remember the MEN headline: "Kevan Nightmare". Funny how some things stick in the mind...it must be over 50 years ago.

Oh, it' all flooding back....
Peter Dobing
David Wagstaffe (sold to Wolves at Christmas to avoid adverse publicity) became a Wolves legend. Typical City.

Oh, it' all flooding back....
Peter Dobing
David Wagstaffe (sold to Wolves at Christmas to avoid adverse publicity) became a Wolves legend. Typical City.
I was in the Midlands for Christmas with the family. To get out of the house I got the supporters bus from Oakengates to see Wolves play on Boxing Day. I was really distraught when Wagstaffe was introduced to the supporters before the match.

Completely forgotten Bacuzzi. At the time i thought we had some exotic foreigner, but his name was better than his play. Probably an Ancoats Italian.
Hardly as he was signed from Arsenal. He was Islington Italian. He looked good to start with but was never of the required standard for the First Division.

Some names for fellow oldies. The mention of Vic Gommersall (what a memory!) brings to mind some other (in)famous members of the George Poyser first season in charge of the just relegated team of ‘63/64: take a bow (but make it quick!) Barry Betts, John Benson (later assistant manager to John Bond), Mike Batty (like Dave Wagstaffe and myself an ex-pupil of North Manchester Grammar), (Bobby?) Cunliffe and David Shawcross. We finished 6th in the old Second Division. Not a great season to be watching that side but it did feature future legends/emerging talents in the form of Harry Dowd, Alan Oakes, Neil Young and Glyn Pardoe. I’m filling up!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.