The forgotten few

Hardly as he was signed from Arsenal. He was Islington Italian. He looked good to start with but was never of the required standard for the First Division.
Ah, thanks for that. Islington, the Ancoats of the south.

We finished 6th in the old Second Division. Not a great season to be watching that side but it did feature future legends/emerging talents in the form of Harry Dowd, Alan Oakes, Neil Young and Glyn Pardoe. I’m filling up!

Must have been fantastic watching those fella's at the outset of their careers and then seeing them progress to become domestic and European winners.

Must have been fantastic watching those fella's at the outset of their careers and then seeing them progress to become domestic and European winners.
Yes, it was! Though the following season brought us an underwhelming 11th place, the next season, under the the unforgettable Mercer/Allison partnership, saw glorious promotion and the infant City careers of true City greats: the homegrown Mike Doyle, Mike Summerbee and (later in the season) Colin Bell. The privilege of having watched that late 60s/early 70s side makes the knowledge that I’m growing old almost bearable, just as the fact that I’m currently witnessing the most successful era in City’s history (and the best set of players I’ve ever seen in the Sky Blue) makes me so glad I’m still alive!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.