The FTSE

Not sure how it’s valued at more than Ford. Ford already has EV models that are selling well and other models coming out soon. Ford even owns a chunk of Rivian.
Very slightly below Ford, which has a market cap of about $68B. Completely ludicrous valuation anyway.

Edit: Oops. I was wrong. Rivian currently trading at an implied market cap of $86B according to CNBC. So it’s actually quite a bit higher than than Ford.

Last edited:
Very slightly below Ford, which has a market cap of about $68B. Completely ludicrous valuation anyway.

Edit: Oops. I was wrong. Rivian currently trading at an implied market cap of $86B according to CNBC. So it’s actually quite a bit higher than than Ford.

Yeah, makes no sense is what I meant when I said not sure how it's valued more than Ford. I wasn't questioning the actual market cap vs Ford. I just don't get how it can be worth more than Ford and how Tesla has a trillion dollar market cap! Insane.

Rivian Automotive IPO values the company at about $65B. This is a company with no revenue and losing money, but it’s as valuable as Ford?! I thought tech stocks were bad. EV is the mother of all bubbles. The dot com crash is going to look tame by comparison.
Yep.
Consistent with the crazy valuation of Tesla.
You’re right about it being a repeat of dot com when a load of web companies had insane valuations without investors seeming to realise that established companies would build up their web businesses to compete.
Similarly every car manufacturer is rapidly building up their own EV capabilities and in another year Tesla will be just another car maker but with a slightly unhinged boss. Can’t possibly see how its share price is sustainable.

Tesla down nearly 20% over the last week or two. Is the EV bubble starting to burst?
The EV 'bubble' won't burst - it's just becoming saturated because other companies are building similar spec EVs and transitioning away from traditional ICEs.

Tesla's stock value alone can't be used as a yardstick for the entire EV market either. Let's face it, they're a tweet away from a 10% swing.

Tesla down nearly 20% over the last week or two. Is the EV bubble starting to burst?
Not that I especially follow this stuff but you'd have to assume a different COP outcome i.e. a more aggressive agreement to reduce oil consumption could have sent them in the other direction.

The EV 'bubble' won't burst - it's just becoming saturated because other companies are building similar spec EVs and transitioning away from traditional ICEs.

Tesla's stock value alone can't be used as a yardstick for the entire EV market either. Let's face it, they're a tweet away from a 10% swing.
You could say the same about the dot com bubble 20 years ago. They didn't go away; in fact the web has become an intrinsic part of everyone's lives but the ludicrous valuations of some of the early internet companies deflated to more realistic levels when the markets realised it was going to be a huge marketplace with thousands of companies competing for the business. I can see the same happening with EVs. Yes, they will become the main product in the automotive sector but, in my opinion, within a few years Tesla will be just another medium sized fish in a huge pond. And the markets may be beginning to realise this. No doubt I will be proven wrong over the next month or two when the share price doubles again!

Tesla is massively overvalued. They played a very good game of entering the right market at the right time. Everyone assumed they needed to hold some Tesla. But from a financial analysis perspective - its a very badly executed company. Musk is a massive liability. The established car brands are far better placed to build and sell electric cars and they will start edging Tesla out on price.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.