The FTSE

It is obviously going to be a big worry to those approaching retirement but for anyone with several years to go then it can come as a chance to really add some value to their funds. I have read elsewhere at times like these that on a 5-year rolling time scale [eg 2014 to 2019, 2000-2005 etc] there have been relatively few periods where the end of period share indices have been lower than the start of the period. As pension contributions are spread throughout the contributor's working life, the chance to add more fund at a lower price is obviously more advantageous than adding at a high price later in life when their is less chance for the fund to work it's magic. The principle is known as 'pound cost averaging'. It may come as a relief that these funds are huge affairs and usually administered by financial organisations that have existed for decades, even in the 1800's and have thrived even throughout two world wars or throughout major recessions. Just keep a close watch on your chosen companies and carefully read any updates they should send your way. And if it doesn't seem right [a good enough principal in it's own right], you can always have access to your chosen Independent Financial Adviser who will happily put your minds at rest.

It is obviously going to be a big worry to those approaching retirement but for anyone with several years to go then it can come as a chance to really add some value to their funds. I have read elsewhere at times like these that on a 5-year rolling time scale [eg 2014 to 2019, 2000-2005 etc] there have been relatively few periods where the end of period share indices have been lower than the start of the period. As pension contributions are spread throughout the contributor's working life, the chance to add more fund at a lower price is obviously more advantageous than adding at a high price later in life when their is less chance for the fund to work it's magic. The principle is known as 'pound cost averaging'. It may come as a relief that these funds are huge affairs and usually administered by financial organisations that have existed for decades, even in the 1800's and have thrived even throughout two world wars or throughout major recessions. Just keep a close watch on your chosen companies and carefully read any updates they should send your way. And if it doesn't seem right [a good enough principal in it's own right], you can always have access to your chosen Independent Financial Adviser who will happily put your minds at rest.
Well I like that. I'm 5 years off from taking the pot. So hopefully will work for me. Basically it's what my financial adviser said to me and it makes sense, and I think the Pru has existed for years. Got their fingers in lots of pies.

Well I like that. I'm 5 years off from taking the pot. So hopefully will work for me. Basically it's what my financial adviser said to me and it makes sense, and I think the Pru has existed for years. Got their fingers in lots of pies.
Founded 1848 and has 20m Life customers. That doesn't mean too much in itself but it gives you an idea that the company has seen and coped with everything thrown it's way.

Similar to yourself , I’ve got 6 years till my pension hits maturity. I pay £300 at the moment which increases by 2.5% every year . I’m scared to look at the moment, I need to stop burying my head in the sand and book appointment with a Pru advisor . My mortgage ends in 12 months so I want to use some of the spare cash to bump my pension up ..Phone call on Monday I think

If anyone has a few quid to spare have a look at an EV (electric car) company in China called NIO, they are aiming to be a competitor to Tesla, they have just raised $400mil in a share issue and have had a $1billion investment from the Chinese government
It is high risk at the min, but the shares are trading around $7.40 mark but its likely this will increase to double figures when Junes sales are released early July

For an example Tesla started at $17 a share back in 2010 and are trading at the moment at over $1000 a share

I'm not saying this is in anyway a Tesla but if it could be half a Tesla the returns could be mint
Some big players Gold man, Jp Morgan, Bank Suisse have been buying up large amounts of this stock recently also

Thought I'd have a look at my fund. Interesting info here- Look at that drop off in Feb. Even Eddie the Eagle couldn't ski that. I'm sill happy enough with the value though.

Prudential PruFund Risk Managed 3 Fund Ser E
Essentials Portfolio Analysis Background Data Performance View PDF Factsheet
Portfolio data accurate as at: 31/03/20
Performance
RequestHandler.ashx

Discrete performance - to last month end
31/05/15
to
31/05/16
31/05/16
to
31/05/17
31/05/17
to
31/05/18
31/05/18
to
31/05/19
31/05/19
to
31/05/20

Fund n/a n/a n/a 2.7% -5.7%
Annualised performance
Annualised
3 Years to
31/05/20
5 Years to
31/05/20
10 Years to
31/05/20

Fund n/a n/a n/a

Fund Aims

Objective: The fund aims to achieve long-term total return (the combination of income and growth of capital). The fund is actively managed and aims to limit the fluctuations ('volatility') your investment experiences, after allowing for smoothing, to 12% per annum over the medium to long term. There is no guarantee that the fund will achieve its objective of managing the volatility to the target level.

Fund Manager
M&G Treasury & Investment Office manager of the underlying fund for 5 years and 6 months
shadow.jpg
With access to investment professionals around the world and assets under management of £178bn, the M&G Treasury & Investment Office (T&IO) has a broad and well-resourced investment capability. T&IO set the strategic asset allocation and undertakes the ‘manager of managers’ role for our insured funds. Over the years they have built a thorough and effective governance framework, which includes the setting and monitoring of investment mandates, regular performance and activity health checks and independent analysis of investment, credit and liquidity risks.

Fund Overview
Bid (19/06/2020) 170.60
Offer n/a
Fund size -
Launch date 26/09/2017
Fund Charges
Annual Management Charge (AMC) 0.65%
Further Costs 0.14%
Yearly Total 0.79%
Portfolio data accurate as at: 31/03/20
Asset Allocation
UK Fixed Interest

14.60%
US Fixed Interest

14.10%
UK Equities

13.40%
Property

12.70%
Pacific Market Equities

6.90%
Other Investment Assets

6.10%
North American Equities

5.80%
European Equities

5.80%
Euro Fixed Interest

5.20%
Asia Fixed Interest

5.10%
Japanese Equities

3.00%
Other Fixed Interest

2.60%
Cash

2.40%
Global Emerging Markets Equities

2.30%

Similar to yourself , I’ve got 6 years till my pension hits maturity. I pay £300 at the moment which increases by 2.5% every year . I’m scared to look at the moment, I need to stop burying my head in the sand and book appointment with a Pru advisor . My mortgage ends in 12 months so I want to use some of the spare cash to bump my pension up ..Phone call on Monday I think
That's a good amount per month. Definitely worth the call. Let us now how you get on.

Very sound advice, and I started putting a few more quid away each month in April. Investing more during the dips makes perfect sense. Trouble is, virtually all my funds are now trading at record highs - they took a right battering due to the pandemic, but have already bounced back to pre-pandemic levels and beyond! Covid-19 led to a big slump but it’s been nowhere near as protracted as the slumps that followed 9/11 and the global banking crisis so I think the opportunity of picking up a few bargains has already been and gone.

Tesla looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Shares selling for $1000 a piece, despite the fact that the company is yet to turn a profit over more than a quarter. JP Morgan recently set a price target of $275 a share. Even the CEO thinks thinks the valuation is too high. Seems like a bubble to me. They’re not the only ones though. Shares in Nikola have risen 6.5X over the last two months and they don’t even have a product to sell!

Tesla looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Shares selling for $1000 a piece, despite the fact that the company is yet to turn a profit over more than a quarter. JP Morgan recently set a price target of $275 a share. Even the CEO thinks thinks the valuation is too high. Seems like a bubble to me. They’re not the only ones though. Shares in Nikola have risen 6.5X over the last two months and they don’t even have a product to sell!

It's nuts, lots of US companies seem overpriced right now, but Tesla is one that is leading the way.

The markets are a strange place at the moment. Hertz is heading for bankruptcy yet it's stock rallied. I think people are just gambling thinking it's worth a punt if they can somehow survive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.