The FTSE

Commiserations. But are you properly diversified? Mine is down less than 2% with a cautious approach.
Thanks. It is what it is and I'm in it for the mid-long term. It had gone up a huge amount in the past year so I can't complain if it takes a hit every now and then. I'll adopt a more cautious approach when my retirement date gets closer. I've also got shit loads more going in each month compared to last year so hopefully I'll catch some of the dips

Thanks. It is what it is and I'm in it for the mid-long term. It had gone up a huge amount in the past year so I can't complain if it takes a hit every now and then. I'll adopt a more cautious approach when my retirement date gets closer. I've also got shit loads more going in each month compared to last year so hopefully I'll catch some of the dips
Over the years I've learned not to worry too much about corrections and crashes because the recovery has always been much stronger. As you say though, if you're going to be dependent on it for retirement there will come a point where you don't want to see the crashes and it's time to diversify some of it into more cautious investments (gilts, bonds etc.) but over the long term funds containing mostly equities have always done better for me.

Over the years I've learned not to worry too much about corrections and crashes because the recovery has always been much stronger. As you say though, if you're going to be dependent on it for retirement there will come a point where you don't want to see the crashes and it's time to diversify some of it into more cautious investments (gilts, bonds etc.) but over the long term funds containing mostly equities have always done better for me.
I've only been doing it a year but this is kind of my approach. Good advice.

I've only been doing it a year but this is kind of my approach. Good advice.
Been doing it for about 30 years and been through the dot com crash, global financial crisis, Covid and numerous smaller corrections. The worst was the dot com crash when it took nearly 5 years to get back to the peak reached on New Years Day 2000, although it was a hugely inflated peak due to mad valuations in 1999. Everything else has been relatively minor by comparison with previous highs nearly always reached within a year of the various crashes.

Been doing it for about 30 years and been through the dot com crash, global financial crisis, Covid and numerous smaller corrections. The worst was the dot com crash when it took nearly 5 years to get back to the peak reached on New Years Day 2000, although it was a hugely inflated peak due to mad valuations in 1999. Everything else has been relatively minor by comparison with previous highs nearly always reached within a year of the various crashes.
I was astonished how quickly the markets recovered following the dip last year due to the pandemic, and that they recovered to even higher levels immediately prior to the drop. I thought it would take a couple of years or more, especially as the pandemic is still ongoing.
There was also the crash post 9/11 too. Not sure how long the recovery took on that occasion

Only share I’ve got that’s outfoxed me so far is Alibaba. Really good fundamentals but Ma going missing and the Chinese govt issues have kept it down about 7% since end of last year.....

I was astonished how quickly the markets recovered following the dip last year due to the pandemic, and that they recovered to even higher levels immediately prior to the drop. I thought it would take a couple of years or more, especially as the pandemic is still ongoing.
There was also the crash post 9/11 too. Not sure how long the recovery took on that occasion
Post 9/11 merged with the dot com crash which is probably why the whole thing took so long to recover.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.