The FTSE

Ouch, this time last year markets started to go down mine at 1 point was down to what I invested but I stuck with it and now its more than it was before

I only buy funds though as I feel shares are too risky
It's a tricky business to be sure. On the one hand the old adage is "never catch a falling knife", but on the other hand when a stock (or fund) has dropped, then it can be a buying opportunity. But how to know?

I have £25k ish languishing in a woefully under-performing Jupiter India fund, on which IIRC I am about £2k down as we speak. But 6 months ago, I was £10k down and obviously they have rallied since. Had I had the balls to throw another £25k in, I'd now be sitting on a very tidy return.

If my aunt had bollocks etc.

For anyone who prefers to DYOR and use balance sheet ratios as a basis for investing in equities, I have found, by chance, a free stock screener with the stock market betting company IG Index. The viewer can set their own fundamental requirements and I have found just one company that meets my own requirements, that being Tate and Lyle and I bought a small stake in that company only a few weeks ago. It's gone up since I bought in I'm glad to say but even if it sticks around at the same level I'll be happy just picking up the dividends until it does go seriously backwards.

I’m heavily invested in Avacta, averaged down to 1.22 but it’s been a rollercoaster. Now at 2.44 and could go much higher if and when they get the testing kit CE marked. Lots of other good parts to their business other than Covid especially Cancer Therapeutics.
Not suggesting any investment advice as should always DYOR but it’s been a profitable investment but has taken a lot of ups and downs
Looks like one where an investment before April last year would have been fantastic. Sadly I’d never heard of Avacta until your post.

Looks like one where an investment before April last year would have been fantastic. Sadly I’d never heard of Avacta until your post.
I still think it has legs as if they get any part of the £8billion government contract for testing then it should take another leg up. I like pharmaceutical and energy shares but lots don’t multi bag like this has. I’ve also invested in Eurasia Mining which is in a bid situation so may multi bag, problem is I do most of my investment on Aim which can be higher risk as seems less regulation than if listed on the FTSE

Tricky 17.
I was in Avacta and made sone money, but missed moat of the big rise.
I put the gains in Synairgen on AIM.
It is well worth a look.
Tjey have 1 trial reading out shortly and 2 ongoing.
It isn't going to stay at this level for much longer.

I sold a while back mate. Bought massively at 90 and cashed out around 160. Been so lucky I then ploughed it into rolls Royce and made about 25 percent in 2 months. Luckiest run ever on the shares.
Only reason I bought RR shares was my biggest customer supplies test pieces to them for R&D, they've never stopped throughout the pandemic. The Customer I deliver parts for has had to outsource a project to a group partner because they are so busy with RR, someone with more knowledge could probably hazard a guess at what price the shares could end up if they returned to pre pandemic levels of business.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.