The FTSE

Trying to make short term gains and move your money around is time intensive and stressful though. Not worth the return really for how much you put in, for the average retail trader anyway.
Agree with that 100%.

My own (balanced) portfolio is up 156% net since May ‘17 and I’ve not had to touch it since I made the trades.

It’s less “fun” but I don’t kid myself myself that I have my ear close enough to the ground to be a trader.

I'm only a small investor (£200 per month) but have just bought 1000 shares in Cineworld at just over 65p each, mate reckons once the pandemic is under control and we get back to normality (sort of) the shares could double. If they do that's next years season card paid for (almost).

Agree with that 100%.

My own (balanced) portfolio is up 156% net since May ‘17 and I’ve not had to touch it since I made the trades.

It’s less “fun” but I don’t kid myself myself that I have my ear close enough to the ground to be a trader.

Yeah I managed to make a few really profitable trades in the post rona madness of the market following the year after the crash, but then a lot of the unrealised gains were wiped out during spring. Some new positions down a lot. Now bagholding a number of positions. I wouldn't chuck any big money in anything I didn't think could be a longer term hold though, so I'm not that worried.

Growth tech gets smacked in downturns though, and cost opportunity is a killer.

Need to learn to take a back seat though, because it's way too time intensive and I could be investing that time and energy better elsewhere at this point.

I'm only a small investor (£200 per month) but have just bought 1000 shares in Cineworld at just over 65p each, mate reckons once the pandemic is under control and we get back to normality (sort of) the shares could double. If they do that's next years season card paid for (almost).

It’s more complex than that I fear mate. They have a massive debt pile (£8.5bn) and are burning through £30m a month and have cash reserves of £350m. Hopefully cinemas reopening will allow them to put the brakes on that bleed. Are there any decent box office film releases on the horizon??? as they look a little exposed if you ask me. Solid enough numbers pre-COVID if they can get to that level of customer footfall again, but that debt pile needs sorting long term because it’s a noose around the neck - clear that and it’s a 600p share.

Good luck with the trade.

It’s more complex than that I fear mate. They have a massive debt pile (£8.5bn) and are burning through £30m a month and have cash reserves of £350m. Hopefully cinemas reopening will allow them to put the brakes on that bleed. Are there any decent box office film releases on the horizon??? as they look a little exposed if you ask me. Solid enough numbers pre-COVID if they can get to that level of customer footfall again, but that debt pile needs sorting long term because it’s a noose around the neck - clear that and it’s a 600p share.

Good luck with the trade.

Cinema will die off in the next decade or so, all major films will be released on streaming platforms. Our internet is getting better and can support it.

Cinema will die off in the next decade or so, all major films will be released on streaming platforms. Our internet is getting better and can support it.

You might be right but i’m not convinced it will mate, watching a film at home just isn’t the same experience. It’s a bit like going to a game and watching it on the TV, you even get a much better view on TV but thousands of us still turn up in person. Must be mental ;)

But cinema is an expensive night out. Especially if you’re taking the kids along.

My private pension has jumped £26k in 12 months, despite essentially paying in the minimum amount during Covid.

I didn't want to freeze it, but I'm in for roughly £240 in contributions during that period.

It's not buying in to Amazon in 1998, but it's the biggest return I've ever had for such a minimal outlay.

Kudos to my financial adviser!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.