The game is off

Goater666 said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Skashion said:
Not like you to engage in a straw man. The vast majority are whinging about it not being called off earlier.

Firstly, the weather deteriorated fairly rapidly as kick off approached, which nobody could have foreseen, and secondly my post was aimed at those posters who questioned it being called off at all, of which we've had a fair few.
I'm saving my daily strawman for the Cellar, although I have a feeling Blueband Brother may beat me to it.

That's rubbish, its was bad at 4pm! the m6 was closed at 4.30 and they closed Barton Bridge (M60) at 5pm. That was the time to call the game off. How were they expecting people to get to the ground...

The game was called off on police advice after GMP advised people to stay away from Manchester City Centre at 6:30pm - blame them, not the club.

Goater666 said:
Skashion said:
Not like you to engage in a straw man. The vast majority are whinging about it not being called off earlier.

Firstly, the weather deteriorated fairly rapidly as kick off approached, which nobody could have foreseen, and secondly my post was aimed at those posters who questioned it being called off at all, of which we've had a fair few.
I'm saving my daily strawman for the Cellar, although I have a feeling Blueband Brother may beat me to it.

That's rubbish, its was bad at 4pm! the m6 was closed at 4.30 and they closed Barton Bridge (M60) at 5pm. That was the time to call the game off. How were they expecting people to get to the ground...

Did City have the authority to call off the game? If the pitch was playable, the wind inside the stadium not too bad and if the stadium itself was safe? Can clubs call off a game because of road conditions 10+ miles away? Or do they need the police to make that decision?

Skashion said:
Would all those whinging about the game not going ahead have preferred us to have lost or drawn a wind-blown farce instead?

They did foresee it though. The red wind warning was from 5-8pm. Stoke knew this and delayed kick off expecting it to die down.

Before all of this the BBC had a detailed weather warning for Wednesday on Sunday evening. At 15:00 yesterday Thelwall Viaduct was closed, at 16:30 Barton Bridge was closed, at 17:00 the police told everyone to avoid the city centre unless it was absolutely necessary to go there...all of those times would have been acceptable to call off as most people wouldn't have set off for the math yet (apart from the Mackems and far flung Blues).

By 18:30 when the game was called off if bet everybody who was working at the ground would have been there in work and everybody who had decided to brave it had already set off for the match. This means that match travelling traffic would have been adding to rush hour traffic, making everything more dangerous. Had the game been called off earlier there wouldn't have been as much traffic.

Since, by 18:30, everybody who would have decided to go to the game would have already set off they should have just announced - like Stoke did - a delay in kick off. 20:00 or 20:30 would have been fine. In calling it off it caused more traffic problems as people were turning round and going back the other way, while there were people working and fans who'd already turned up (like me) already at the ground.

The game should either have been called off MUCH earlier or by 18:30 should have been delayed for 30-45mins.

They did exactly the wrong thing. Probably couldn't have done it any worse.

willy eckerslike said:
Goater666 said:

The game was called off on police advice after GMP advised people to stay away from Manchester City Centre at 6:30pm - blame them, not the club.

Sorry I wasn't clear, not blaming the club at all. The police should have made the decision about an hour earlier than they did.

at evertons game,there was a guy from malasia,he tweeted a nice picture of himself with the words,finally after 30 years I get to watch everton play live,it was called of just after the tweet :)

Goater666 said:
willy eckerslike said:
Goater666 said:

Sorry I wasn't clear, not blaming the club at all. The police should have made the decision about an hour earlier than they did.

Actually just been checking over the GMP tweets and they deny they were the ones who called the game off - ooh the plot thickens!

I spent well over an hour in my car - 2nd stage of my journey - listening to Radio Manc, making very slow porgress, continiung a debate with a friend who had joined me in Cheshire whether we should turn round etc - before it was called off. The decision to call it off should have been made earlier; how much earlier, I don't know exactly but even 15 minutes would have saved me from nearly driving into a fallen tree.

I'm not having a big whinge but it was obvious for some time it needed calling off. Our own, we've come all this way so we'll risk it is my fault. TBH we were probably about to give up and turn round. I should have paid more atttention to weather forecast for Up North but am a bit preoccupied with the weather in the Thames Valley!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.