The game is off

cibaman said:
Goater666 said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Firstly, the weather deteriorated fairly rapidly as kick off approached, which nobody could have foreseen, and secondly my post was aimed at those posters who questioned it being called off at all, of which we've had a fair few.
I'm saving my daily strawman for the Cellar, although I have a feeling Blueband Brother may beat me to it.

That's rubbish, its was bad at 4pm! the m6 was closed at 4.30 and they closed Barton Bridge (M60) at 5pm. That was the time to call the game off. How were they expecting people to get to the ground...

Did City have the authority to call off the game? If the pitch was playable, the wind inside the stadium not too bad and if the stadium itself was safe? Can clubs call off a game because of road conditions 10+ miles away? Or do they need the police to make that decision?

A mate of mine was at the match briefing and the Police never mentioned calling the game off even when the bad weather was mentioned apparently, they said all was well.

Bluebee2 said:
cibaman said:
Goater666 said:
That's rubbish, its was bad at 4pm! the m6 was closed at 4.30 and they closed Barton Bridge (M60) at 5pm. That was the time to call the game off. How were they expecting people to get to the ground...

Did City have the authority to call off the game? If the pitch was playable, the wind inside the stadium not too bad and if the stadium itself was safe? Can clubs call off a game because of road conditions 10+ miles away? Or do they need the police to make that decision?

A mate of mine was at the match briefing and the Police never mentioned calling the game off even when the bad weather was mentioned apparently, they said all was well.

Here's an artists impression of that briefing ...

headless-chickens.jpg

they called the game off exactly at the right time - just as I was about to make up my flask!

alib said:
they called the game off exactly at the right time - just as I was about to make up my flask!

Lucky escape there pal, not the same sat in the house drinking your Bovril !

Got on the train in Shrewsbury at 16:00 for the 1hr 20min journey, four and a half hours later still sat on the same train just outside Crewe! Managed to get home at 23:00 although at several stages it looked like we'd be booking a hotel somewhere along the line. Still, at least we didn't lose 0-1 to an Adam Johnson goal...

Bluebee2 said:
alib said:

Lucky escape there pal, not the same sat in the house drinking your Bovril !
Had my flask of soup when I got home. Still warm but I agree not quite the same. We could start a flask thread!

On the plus side, we get extra rest before the Chelsea game, we'll have Dinho, Aguero and Nasri back for the rearranged fixture vs Sunderland, and, to top it all off, Wes Brown will now miss the cup final. I was pissed that the game was called off, but in hindsight, it's worked out well for us.

Bluescholar said:
Harvster said:
Question for people of a certain age.
Only other City game I can remember being postponed whilst on route to the game would have been in the mid to late 70s.
We had just reached Claremont Road on our way to our usual spot on Santiago Street, when my dad got told by a bloke in a car coming the other way that the game was off due to the fog.
Anybody know who we would have been playing?
(I don't have a clue by the way!)

Think it was Villa, well that's the only one I remember from back then!

Chelsea... 73-74 ... everybody went to Oldham v Bolton and City came across the pitch and kicked the wanderers out of the Chaddy end

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.