The grand strategy gaming thread

DruntBlunt

Let's hear from the blues who like myself love to waste large amounts of life in front of the computer screen playing strategy games. What are your all-time favourite games? Which one(s) are you currently playing? Recommendations to other gamers or to people curious about strategy gaming. Anything else you want to share.

Football Manager have its own threads so although a brilliant strategy game we leave that one out.

I'll start by telling a little bit about my own love-affair which started in 91 with the release of Civilization. I was caught absolutely off-guard and before I knew what had happened my four week holiday was over without me seeing the sun at all. I seem to remember establishing some sort of 28 hour rhythm with gaming and sleeping. No girl-friend at the time and a small grocery shop in the same building. Bliss.

Since then I played most of the major 4X (explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate) turn based titles: Civilization (+ Colonization and Alpha Centauri), Master of Orion, Galactic Civilization, Total War series, Master of Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic, X-Com, Age of Wonders, Fallen Enchantress and more. Real time games can be fun but are usually more about tactics than strategy and for me doesn't get me into the same sensory deprived state that a good TB game can.

I am currently playing Europa Universalis IV from the small Swedish developing and publishing house Paradox. They also have excellent titles like Crusader Kings and the hard-core Hearts of Iron series. Brilliant games. These are all hybrid RTS/TB games in the sense that they feel like TB but have a clock that runs continuously but can be stopped at any time for orders and adjustments. EUIV is a historic game that can be played from 1444 to 1821 and you have more than 200 playable nations from all parts of the world. The game has a complex economic model with a clever trading system where historic trade routes can be harvested or redirected in order to fund your empire. The traditional tech-tree is made much more interesting by being integrated with a set of ideas that can shape your nation. These ideas are rooted in the history of that nation but can be tailored to suit your playing style. The "currency" that is used for development of tech and ideas are split into three categories: administrative, diplomatic and military. These points must be used wisely and you also need them for a whole lot of other situations in the game, recruiting generals, calming people, spreading religion and culture and so on. A highly recommended experience for anyone who want a bit more complexity than Civ or Total War can give you.

Lastly I will mention a silly little game that i have clocked more than 700 hours in according to Steam: Warlock - Master of the Arcane. It's a simplified fantasy Civ game with hex board, tech tree, heroes, cities and monsters. Not a lot of depth but played on the hardest setting it has just the right balance of easy fun and immersion that keeps me coming back for more. Made by some Russian developers I think and published by Paradox. Great fun.

Sins of a solar empire is a game I've enjoyed a lot, it's like the RTS equivalent to GalCiv. I quite enjoyed Empire Total War, Supreme Commander 2 is really good if you like big stompy robots. I think the best RTS I've played is the 1st dawn of war and company of heroes.

Love the Civ series and despite it's flaws Civ 3 is the best of the bunch. Couldn't get on with Civ 4. Civ 5 is ok but still not as playable as 3. I might try some of those you mentioned. I miss the old style rpg when the battles were tactical(Vandal Hearts, Shining Force 1&2) instead of just hack and slash. For all the plaudits it gets, FF7 was not a patch on those games where combat is concerned.

I play games from the Command & Conquer series fairly regularly. Red Alert 2 (plus the expansion packs) and Red Alert 3 (plus Uprising) are my favourites. Generals and Generals Zero were also decent. I used to play Total War: Rome a lot. I conquered the complete map on at least two occasions without cheats which is a shit load of gaming. I also play OpenTTD fairly regularly as well - the open-source reproduction of Transport Tycoon Deluxe. That really is for the old schoolers. Available for free here for anyone who wants to try it out: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.openttd.org/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.openttd.org/en/</a> I was a big fan of Transport Tycoon Deluxe and played it obsessively when it came out when I was only 7! Despite my interest in football, I've always found Football Manager too dull to get into.

Used to love playing Risk when I was a kid. Never really bothered with computer games though. Well apart from poker, if that counts.

Tried europa universalis 3 but just couldn't get in to it as its incredibly complex and if your a beginner it doesn't give you much help
Playing Medieval Total War 2 and really enjoying that as I find that era really interesting
Also loads of mods for it and the best one is The Third Age. Which is Lord of the rings total war. Not tried that yet but will when I have time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.