The greatest round of boxing ever

I remember watching this live. I was 17, and utterly captivated by the brutality, the atmosphere, and the sheer star-quality of two of the greatest combatants to ever live. Still, I don't think it is the greatest round of boxing because the boxing was lost in the brutality and in the emotion of the occasion.

I have been out with my dad and a few of his mates today, and they were talking about boxing. They then started talking about how brutal the opening round of Tommy Hearns v Marvin Haggler was and how much punishment they both took in that first round. I listened but just thought they were exaggerating. I've just watched it on You tube and fuck me they were right. That first round is pure hatred!

Does anyone on here remember that fight?

Brilliant fight, the best ever imo.

Tyson v spinks 1988, two undefeated heavyweight champions spinks was supposed to be his toughest opponent to date iron Mike obliterated him putting him down twice in the 1st round a beast when he was in his prime
I remember that the fight was on terrestrial tv and around three in the morning. My Dad decided he was going to watch the fight at my house and turned up just before the fight started. He was going home ten minutes later and vowed that he wouldn't be coming around to mine to watch anymore of Iron Mike's fights because it was such a farce. Spinks had boasted before the fight how he was going to dominate the fight and knock Tyson out. All I remember is Tyson running over to Spinks and absolutely battering him.

Last edited:

I have been out with my dad and a few of his mates today, and they were talking about boxing. They then started talking about how brutal the opening round of Tommy Hearns v Marvin Haggler was and how much punishment they both took in that first round. I listened but just thought they were exaggerating. I've just watched it on You tube and fuck me they were right. That first round is pure hatred!

Does anyone on here remember that fight?

George Kimballs book, Four King's about the fights between Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran Era is a great read. In it he explains how Hearns told his corner at the end of round 1 that he had broke his right hand on Haglers head. But he told them in no way was he quitting and they should not stop the fight. He carried on in the next two rounds and eventually lost in the third. He told his corner to say nothing about his hand at the end of the fight as he didn't want it to detract from Haglers win. This went as far as refusing to go to hospital until he got back to Detroit a couple of days later.

Last edited:
George Kimballs book, Four King's about the fights between Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran Era is a great read. In it he explains how Hearns told his corner at the end of round 1 that he had broke his right hand on Haglers head. But he told them in no way was he quitting and they should not stop the fight. He carried on in the next two rounds and eventually lost in the third. He told his corner to say nothing about his hand at the end of the fight as he didn't want it to detract from Haglers win. This went as far as refusing to go to hospital until he got back to Deytoit a couple of days later.
Yes got this book myself

Not the greatest but my favourite round of boxing was the first ( and only ) round between Najib Daho and Pat Cowdell, one Saturday afternoon at the Free Trade Hall in 1986.

Followed by a City style pitch ( ring ) invasion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.