The greatest round of boxing ever

I have been out with my dad and a few of his mates today, and they were talking about boxing. They then started talking about how brutal the opening round of Tommy Hearns v Marvin Haggler was and how much punishment they both took in that first round. I listened but just thought they were exaggerating. I've just watched it on You tube and fuck me they were right. That first round is pure hatred!

Does anyone on here remember that fight?

Yep, it was brutal, Hagler was my favourite boxer of all time, such a stylish aggressor, brilliant fella as well who passed too early.

That era, Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard was the best ever. Me and my mate went to a few Tony Sibson fights including his bout against Dwight Davison at the NEC which put him on track to fight Marvellous Marvin. I had proper mixed feelings about that fight, me and my pal travelled to Birmingham to watch the event at a cinema, Hagler outclassed Sibson but he did that to many other boxers, great post, love it.

I remember watching that fight. Spinks looked like he was beaten as soon as he began his ring walk. He looked terrified.
I went to Granada studios to watch Najib Daho on a Saturday afternoon, he was an adopted Mancunian from Morocco. My mate Kenny Daniels was his trainer and invited a few of us to the fight which was live on ITV.

Najib beat Barry Michaels, an Aussie. After the fight Kenny said they were going to the Richfield Club afterwards, we went along, the Quality Street Gang were there headed by Jack Trickett who owned the Acton Court Hotel, Tommy Docherty was also there cracking a load of jokes, "if Peter Davenport had shot John Lennon he'd still be alive, Peter Davenport couldn't trap a bag of cement, etc."

The thing I remember most is they had Tyson fights on a loop in a big screen, he just demolished every opponent, he was a brutal fighter at his peak, probably the best ever. The passing of his mentor Cus D''Amato started his decline.

As an aside, Najib's greatest moment was when he beat Pat Cowdel at the Free Trade Hall, I went to the fight, I think it was a Monday night but not sure, photo attached with a young Frank Warren in the image, Kenny on the left, he's sadly departed, nicest fella I've ever known. Najib also died, a car accident in Morocco aged just 34.

Attachments

• IMG_4499.jpeg
    IMG_4499.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 19
Not the greatest but my favourite round of boxing was the first ( and only ) round between Najib Daho and Pat Cowdell, one Saturday afternoon at the Free Trade Hall in 1986.

Followed by a City style pitch ( ring ) invasion.
Sure this was on ITV.
I remember the fight but didn't go to it

Not the greatest but my favourite round of boxing was the first ( and only ) round between Najib Daho and Pat Cowdell, one Saturday afternoon at the Free Trade Hall in 1986.

Followed by a City style pitch ( ring ) invasion.
Think that was the Barry Michael fight which was definitely a Saturday afternoon, I'm not 100% certain but I think the Cowdell bout was a Monday night for some bizarre reason, I was at both events. ITV used to put regular Thursday night boxing on, went to quite a few of those.

I went to Granada studios to watch Najib Daho on a Saturday afternoon, he was an adopted Mancunian from Morocco. My mate Kenny Daniels was his trainer and invited a few of us to the fight which was live on ITV.

Najib beat Barry Michaels, an Aussie. After the fight Kenny said they were going to the Richfield Club afterwards, we went along, the Quality Street Gang were there headed by Jack Trickett who owned the Acton Court Hotel, Tommy Docherty was also there cracking a load of jokes, "if Peter Davenport had shot John Lennon he'd still be alive, Peter Davenport couldn't trap a bag of cement, etc."

The thing I remember most is they had Tyson fights on a loop in a big screen, he just demolished every opponent, he was a brutal fighter at his peak, probably the best ever. The passing of his mentor Cus D''Amato started his decline.

As an aside, Najib's greatest moment was when he beat Pat Cowdel at the Free Trade Hall, I went to the fight, I think it was a Monday night but not sure, photo attached with a young Frank Warren in the image, Kenny on the left, he's sadly departed, nicest fella I've ever known. Najib also died, a car accident in Morocco aged just 34.

I remember Najib, a good tough little boxer. Two guys tried to mug him in Moss Side once and he knocked them both out. He said it was the easiest fight he ever had.

I have been out with my dad and a few of his mates today, and they were talking about boxing. They then started talking about how brutal the opening round of Tommy Hearns v Marvin Haggler was and how much punishment they both took in that first round. I listened but just thought they were exaggerating. I've just watched it on You tube and fuck me they were right. That first round is pure hatred!

Does anyone on here remember that fight?

sure do

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.