The Greatest Show on Turf - Cheltenham festival 2024

The issues with Cheltenham shouldn't be directed towards Mullins, he's not done anything wrong. He's built a very effective and successful training operation working within the rules provided.

The decline of the Cheltenham Festival lies elsewhere.

The focus should be directed primarily to The Jockey Club and questions asked as to why it has become the Cheltenham Festival it is today.
I'm not sure it's specifically just a Cheltenham Festival issue with Mullins, the bigger picture is the impact it has on Racing as a whole.

The issue is highlighted further at Cheltenham as its the showcase event, where you are correct in that he is doing nothing wrong, other than entering horses into races which he believes have a chance of winning.

The question really, should be is this good for the sport, and is there anything that can be done by the HRI to ensure fair competition and reducing monopolies in the sport; and the knock on issues this creates in racing as a whole.

As things stand I don't believe there is any such legislation, so owners such as JP, Ricci et al will continue to pay the best person in the business the money he deserves to deliver them a winner.

I'm not sure it's specifically just a Cheltenham Festival issue with Mullins, the bigger picture is the impact it has on Racing as a whole.

The issue is highlighted further at Cheltenham as its the showcase event, where you are correct in that he is doing nothing wrong, other than entering horses into races which he believes have a chance of winning.

The question really, should be is this good for the sport, and is there anything that can be done by the HRI to ensure fair competition and reducing monopolies in the sport; and the knock on issues this creates in racing as a whole.

As things stand I don't believe there is any such legislation, so owners such as JP, Ricci et al will continue to pay the best person in the business the money he deserves to deliver them a winner.
I don't think the main problem is with Willie Mullins winning these major races, I think it's the many superior, odds on favourites in championship races.

While everybody wants to see the best horses at Cheltenham, nobody wants to basically watch a one horse race. It's unfortunate that most of those top class horses are trained by Mullins.

I think it was detrimental increasing the Festival to four days, adding more races and diluting the event and the Jockey Club are responsible for that.

With Willie Mullins seeming to have most of the top horses, he can now juggle the entries around and win the big races for his owners. Although reverting back to three days would force him to run his top horses against each other and create more competition in these races, it will never happen.

As for the bigger picture, there are far more issues with horse racing than Mullins winning so many races. The structure, too many races and prizemoney would be starting points.

Our beloved City are accused of ruining football due to our success. Mullins is exactly the same.
The problem for me is the top horses no longer have to risk losing to each other due having loads of different options to race in. So we don't get to see the best of the best against each other.

Didn't help Henderson not turning up, CH, Jonbon (based on El Fabiolas fall), Sir Gino and possibly Shanagh Bob all could of been winners in hindsight if the ground had held up.

Our beloved City are accused of ruining football due to our success. Mullins is exactly the same.
The problem for me is the top horses no longer have to risk losing to each other due having loads of different options to race in. So we don't get to see the best of the best against each other.

Mullins runs his best horses against eachother all the time, its the others who are running scared. I can't remember the last horse Henderson ran in Ireland.

First time that I’ve only had one bet at Cheltenham and that was corach rambler each way. In my eyes it’s been the worst racing at Cheltenham for years and i cannot believe Henderson pulling all his big hitters out because he was scared of the going . Can’t wait for the flat to start .

First time that I’ve only had one bet at Cheltenham and that was corach rambler each way. In my eyes it’s been the worst racing at Cheltenham for years and i cannot believe Henderson pulling all his big hitters out because he was scared of the going . Can’t wait for the flat to start .
Henderson didn’t pull his horses because of the going there was a virus in the stable . Not all of his horses were 100% , there’s no way he’s going to risk grade one horses if they’re not right , they’ll be back when fit and ready for the big meetings , hopefully Aintree and Punchestown.

Henderson didn’t pull his horses because of the going there was a virus in the stable . Not all of his horses were 100% , there’s no way he’s going to risk grade one horses if they’re not right , they’ll be back when fit and ready for the big meetings , hopefully Aintree and Punchestown.
Im sure Jonbon was pulled because of the going .if I’m wrong I stand corrected though

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.