The Hillsborough Family Support Group Against Safe Standing.

Usual good quality David Conn article.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2011/mar/23/football-supporters-standing-zones-hillsborough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-c ... llsborough</a>

The Football Licensing Authority (FLA) - it was announced that they were to be scrapped as part of the bonfire of the quangos, yet it appears this mob are still going for now. Referred to in Conn's article, they can't even get their own facts right.

jrb said:
Just wait until the next pop concert at COMS.

Sitting will go out of the window.

*Standing*
Drink
Drugs
Sex
And rock and roll.

MCFC, MCC, H&S and the licensing authorities will all turn a blind eye.

Yet mention safe standing at a football match and...........(fill in as appropriate)

-- Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 pm --

PS.

If Dan Johnson was honest and had any balls he would admit there is nothing wrong with safe standing. Especially if you limit it to one stand or one section of a stand.

What really gets me is the lies these people pedal. They go out with a brief knowing full well it's a load of bollocks and basically lie and push their agenda, because they can.
I remember Kate Hoey (Minister for Sport) went mad, when she was made to look stupid by the lies of these people, they told her some crap about safe standing, not being lawful in Germany or something like that, and straight away when is spoke to the media, somebody picked her up on it.

It's a pity their moralistic attitude didn't surface after Heysel.

It could have been a case of 'prevention is better than cure?'

But they were the aggressor on that occasion so it's probably better not to mention it!

One should sympathise but not agree. Like the stadia in 1989, they are relics of a bygone era out of touch with reality. How many of them go to football games?

Furthermore, the Scousers' 'Justice for 96' campaign is commendable, yet they stand when chanting about it. Paradox.

beehive_bob said:
Whilst you can sympathise with the Group, Hillsborough was not to do with standing but with the fact that there were fences, combined with shockingly bad crowd management by the authorities supposedly in charge.

One of the lines trotted out by the Government is that more women and children attend games due to all-seater stadia. Whether the statistics prove that or not - and I seem to recall more than a few women and children on the Kippax - it's all to do with social control and trying to change the demographic of football crowds. Lots of happy clappies politely applauding, absolutely no swearing, you may stand 'intermittently', more 'families' who are seen as less likely to do anything that may be deemed offensive. Rugby fans can stand, and you can stand at pop concerts in football grounds.

The fact that in Germany they've successfully had safe standing areas for years, such as at Borussia Dortmund and Schalke, defeats the argument entirely. Nobody is saying that fans shouldn't be able to sit, but that there should be separate safe standing areas for those who wish to stand. Which is a hell of a lot when you look at matches around the country. And this would also stop the conflict between some who wish to stand and some who wish to sit in the same area.

We're lucky that City have a relaxed policy on this, some clubs are a nightmare.

Re the bolded bit - while I know this sounds facetious, you'd think that the HFSG would know what the causes of the disaster were because they are forever reminding the world who and what was to blame (and terracing isn't one of them), and by now can probably recount the Taylor Report word-for-word.

As such, they will also know that the Taylor Report stated that standing at football matches isn't unsafe, so why - whenever this subject is brought up - are the HFSG so opposed to it? Someone stated earlier in the thread that if they lost a family member at Hillsborough then they'd be opposed to standing too, but as has been repeated over and over again it wasn't the terracing that was to blame so how can anyone come to such a conclusion? Put it this way, if a relative of mine had died that day it wouldn't be terracing that I'd wanted banned from football grounds - police maybe but not terracing. If the Leppings Lane end had been all-seater that day as opposed to all-standing then there would've still been a loss of life due to the police shoe-horning fans into the central pens to the point that they were totally overcrowded.

I honestly don't get the HFSG on this issue - they talk of wanting justice for the errors made by the authorities that day which is fair enough of course, yet whenever the issue of standing at matches comes up they ignore that particular part of the Taylor Report and continue to peddle the myth that standing isn't safe.

Yet again, Liverpool spoiling it for the rest of us. I said the following in a thread yesterday

Lets be honest, if it wasn't for the scousers impatience at Hillsborough that fateful day then we'd all still be standing today.

If they didn't want to miss the start of the match they should have got there in plenty of time.

That club and its fans have alot to answer for.

Now i admit the police had a hand in what happened at Hillsborough all those years ago, but some of those waiting outside the ground that day behaved like animals.

Liverpool fans i ask you this. If one of your family members die in a car crash, will you stop driving?

Please stop milking what happened in the 80's, youre becoming as sad and as bad as those twats from Trafford.

Ricster said:
Yet again, Liverpool spoiling it for the rest of us. I said the following in a thread yesterday

Lets be honest, if it wasn't for the scousers impatience at Hillsborough that fateful day then we'd all still be standing today.

If they didn't want to miss the start of the match they should have got there in plenty of time.

Now i admit the police had a hand in what happened at Hillsborough all those years ago, but some of those waiting outside the ground that day behaved like animals.

Liverpool fans i ask you this. If one of your family members die in a car crash, will you stop driving?

Please stop milking what happened in the 80's, youre becoming as sad and as bad as those twats from Trafford.
ricster impatience had a small part to play on this, alot of these fans had no tickets and they are well known for jumping over the turnstiles

Yet they allow unsafe standing by Liverpool fans in The Kop and at away games. Talk about taking the piss. They can fuck right off in my opinion, fuckin twats.<br /><br />-- Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm --<br /><br />
hitRECORDSam said:
One should sympathise but not agree. Like the stadia in 1989, they are relics of a bygone era out of touch with reality. How many of them go to football games?

Furthermore, the Scousers' 'Justice for 96' campaign is commendable, yet they stand when chanting about it. Paradox.

It's a paradox we call 'reality' so keeping it real will make you a casualty of abnormal normality.

jrb said:
Just wait until the next pop concert at COMS.

Sitting will go out of the window.

*Standing*
Drink
Drugs
Sex
And rock and roll.

MCFC, MCC, H&S and the licensing authorities will all turn a blind eye.

Yet mention safe standing at a football match and...........(fill in as appropriate)

-- Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 pm --

PS.

If Dan Johnson was honest and had any balls he would admit there is nothing wrong with safe standing. Especially if you limit it to one stand or one section of a stand.

What really gets me is the lies these people pedal. They go out with a brief knowing full well it's a load of bollocks and basically lie and push their agenda, because they can.

Christ almighty mate, I don't think these people have an 'agenda', they just believe that standing will result in tragedies like that that occured. They are wrong, in my opinion, but why on earth you feel the need to attack them and accuse of them 'lying' I just don't know.

Safe standing won't come back because the majority of the big clubs will oppose it as it means reduced ticket prices.<br /><br />-- Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:20 pm --<br /><br />I'd also say, without wanting to sound like I'm defending kopites, not all Liverpool fans are anti-standing and the 'Justice for 96' campaign is nothing to do with being anti-standing, it's to do with the aftermath etc. Quite a lot of Liverpool supporters would happily see standing back, as people say the Kop still stands on a big game. I can understand why someone whose relative died at Hillsborough might be a bit ignorant, they would probably say that standing was supposed to be safe when the disaster happened so it could happen again. They're wrong in my opinion, if we had a well policed, organised and most importantly ELECTRONIC system of crowd control, I think it would work well and bring such much needed atmosphere back into our grounds.

Ricster said:

I am ashamed to say you 3 support the same club as me you either never went to Leppings lane end or are plan daft it was an accident waiting to happen it could have happen at anytime to any club including City. You should hold your heads very low draging this up to support the standing debate. The HFSG have ever right to oppose standing and the ethics of standing , they have family who went to a football game arrived early and never came home THINK ABOUT IT before writing crazy comments includingh words like milking it!!!! They dont want that to ever happen again and having lived through the 70 & 80's as a city support home and away nor do I.

Now if you want to enter a debate about standing do so look forward not back and show some respect to true football fans who died watch the game we all love. The HFSG and others are there to reminds us that standing isnt always safe and we must never forget this

RIP the 96

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.