The 'Imaginary Card'

Refs have so much pressure on them, doesn't help with the media et al jumping on their human nature to make mistakes. Some cost, some don't... some kill a season, some don't. refs need more praise for good games, they rarely get this

Re: The ' Imaginary Card'

Mugatu said:
kiam06 said:
After last nights Mancini 'incident' waving the imaginary card it got me thinking why in this country is it so frowned upon?

Because it's already legislated against in the game, it's "unsporting behaviour" and is an offence punisheable by a yellow card in itself.
It's just not needed, let the match official referee the game. The ref wouldn't run up to a player who had just missed a sitter and make "kicking a screamer into the top corner" gestures. He doesn't tell a player how to do his job, why should a player (or coach) be free to tell a referee how to do his?

Rag

Plenty of card waving at Anfiled prior to Mario's sending off...no moaning then...no apologies either...Bobby said sorry...showed some class...move on....just for the record though the ref had a stinker in my opinion and needed a bit of help from the sidelines :)

I loved it and Mancini was spot on. Seconds earlier Barry had been sent off for a nothing challenge. The gesture was simply a reminder to the ref that he was allowed to use his cards against Liverpool players too.

Barry's first booking was fucking shocking when you consider how many snide challenges Charlie Adam made in the game. He could've been sent off twice over if the ref was being consistent.

kiam06 said:
After last nights Mancini 'incident' waving the imaginary card it got me thinking why in this country is it so frowned upon? If a referee is showing a level of inconsistency when making decisions then surely players and managers have the right to highlight this even if that involves the imaginary card.

It seems the imaginary card is seen as worse than diving or claiming for corners and freekicks when they are clearly the other teams way so why is there such a big deal made out of an imaginary card?

I saw Leon Osman trip over his own leg(literally) against Sunderland a couple of weeks ago and then start waving his arms around to claim a penalty, have we heard anything about that? Last night on several occasions Liverpool players surrounded the referee which for me is worse than an imaginary card but it is accepted for some reason?

I think the outlawing of imaginary cards is basically a mechanism put in place to protect referees from being criticised for making errors and for me it should be allowed, the referee should be strong enough to ignore 'fake' claims for cards if not he shouldn't be in the job.

It goes against our traditional English sense of "Fair Play". We irrationally hate diving and spitting too.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me. Players cheat and get away with what they can, it irritates me but they all do it.

It goes against our traditional English sense of "Fair Play".

watching adam & skirtel kicking lumps out of his players & at the same time seeing one of his own players sent off for a nothing... i understand him fully..& agree with him..the ref was a wanker saw nothing but what HE wanted to see..

Josh Blue said:
Anyone mentioned Gary Neville on sky shooting down Jamie Redknapp as he tried to make a big thing of it.

Fair play Neville......*chunders*

I'm in the US so couldn't see it. What was said?<br /><br />-- Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 am --<br /><br />
oddfellows said:
Mugatu said:
kiam06 said:
After last nights Mancini 'incident' waving the imaginary card it got me thinking why in this country is it so frowned upon?

Because it's already legislated against in the game, it's "unsporting behaviour" and is an offence punisheable by a yellow card in itself.
It's just not needed, let the match official referee the game. The ref wouldn't run up to a player who had just missed a sitter and make "kicking a screamer into the top corner" gestures. He doesn't tell a player how to do his job, why should a player (or coach) be free to tell a referee how to do his?

Rag

So when a ref calls a player over to talk to him after making a bad tackle is he asking him for a chicken recipe? Or is he telling him to take it easy, play fair (in effect, telling him how to do his job)?

Mugatu said:
kiam06 said:

the player would admit getting it wrong but the refs dont to put it simply.

mancini was right to do what he did.sometimes it needs pointing out that there are two teams on the pitch.

Didsbury Dave said:
kiam06 said:
After last nights Mancini 'incident' waving the imaginary card it got me thinking why in this country is it so frowned upon? If a referee is showing a level of inconsistency when making decisions then surely players and managers have the right to highlight this even if that involves the imaginary card.

It seems the imaginary card is seen as worse than diving or claiming for corners and freekicks when they are clearly the other teams way so why is there such a big deal made out of an imaginary card?

I saw Leon Osman trip over his own leg(literally) against Sunderland a couple of weeks ago and then start waving his arms around to claim a penalty, have we heard anything about that? Last night on several occasions Liverpool players surrounded the referee which for me is worse than an imaginary card but it is accepted for some reason?

I think the outlawing of imaginary cards is basically a mechanism put in place to protect referees from being criticised for making errors and for me it should be allowed, the referee should be strong enough to ignore 'fake' claims for cards if not he shouldn't be in the job.

It goes against our traditional English sense of "Fair Play". We irrationally hate diving and spitting too.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me. Players cheat and get away with what they can, it irritates me but they all do it.

Downing dived when Silva went to challenge him, but Silva pulled out at last minute (note: been there before myself btw).

I thought you cheating barstool yet nothing was said about that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.