The importance of Wembley 1999

Regardless of whether we would have eventually recovered as a club, and it's impossible to say one way or the other, it was the psychology of the win amongst us long-term fans which seemed the most significant thing on that day. United had just won a treble and we were at our lowest ebb. Hope had been reborn over the spring for the first time in many many years. For many of us, and I had been watching City for 23 years already at that point, all we had ever done was blow it on the big occasion. The League Cup Semi 1981. The FA Cup Final 1981. Luton 1983. Pretty much every derby game. Liverpool 1996. Stoke 1998. It' had become part of the club's DNA to "bottle it".

And on 89 minutes, after such hope and excitement, we had bottled it again. I have never felt so low at a football match, and have never since. But then, out of nowhere, when all hope was gone...there was magic in the air. City had surpassed themselves and come back from the dead. Hope was reborn in the most dramatic and exciting way. Maybe it's because I was younger, but it took me nearly a week to come down from the high. I couldn't stop thinking about it and watching it.

There was something special about it which transcended a third division playoff final, but you had to have been immersed in the club's downward spiral to really appreciate it.

There is so much truth in this post.

And it sums up the importance and sheer emotion of that game perfectly for so many of us blues “of a certain age”.

Well done.

I remember the noise when Aguero scored and it was like nothing I’d heard
It was more high pitched screaming than cheering
And wailing. Someone behind us was definitely wailing when Kun did his thing.

Regardless of whether we would have eventually recovered as a club, and it's impossible to say one way or the other, it was the psychology of the win amongst us long-term fans which seemed the most significant thing on that day. United had just won a treble and we were at our lowest ebb. Hope had been reborn over the spring for the first time in many many years. For many of us, and I had been watching City for 23 years already at that point, all we had ever done was blow it on the big occasion. The League Cup Semi 1981. The FA Cup Final 1981. Luton 1983. Pretty much every derby game. Liverpool 1996. Stoke 1998. It' had become part of the club's DNA to "bottle it".

And on 89 minutes, after such hope and excitement, we had bottled it again. I have never felt so low at a football match, and have never since. But then, out of nowhere, when all hope was gone...there was magic in the air. City had surpassed themselves and come back from the dead. Hope was reborn in the most dramatic and exciting way. Maybe it's because I was younger, but it took me nearly a week to come down from the high. I couldn't stop thinking about it and watching it.

There was something special about it which transcended a third division playoff final, but you had to have been immersed in the club's downward spiral to really appreciate it.
This.This.And.This!

What both this day and the state we are in now (1) shows how unpredictable and inconsistant the performances of any team can be. Which on the one hand can provide hope to those fans who have suffered as their clubs have had f**k up after f**k up that a better future can be possible if one is willing to make the right steps while on the other hand (as our road down to what is now League 1 has shown more than anything else) also shows that one should not be comfortable in the position a club is in (even if you are among the best clubs in Europe) and thus any club should always be willing to push yourselfs upward, aim higher and most of all not f**k up.

The latter of which is one we ourselves should take seriously when it comes to any decision the club makes, hence why no matter how big we become and no matter how many trophies we win, we should always remind oursevles of that day, how we ended up in that play-off final in the first place and how we came back. Because as they always say:

"Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it"

(1) Alongside how United went from winning a treble in the same season being outperformed by City more often than now.

I met Super Kev in the Green Man a few seasons ago before the final against Wigan, what a great, modest bloke, where would we be now without him and Paul Dickov... That game was up there with QPR for me, once we got to 2-2 I knew Gillingham would flunk the penalty shoot out, they were physically and mentally crushed...!

its nearly 20 years ago and i can live with the fact manchester city was on its knee's and we never turned our backs on them talk about money for old rope we turn up and happy hand over our money yes we liked a moan yes the club took us for granted yes the board and chairman was in a panic but the truth is

i would go and watch manchester city play sunday league football don't ask me why its in my blood this cult of a football club got me hooked line and sinker

its nearly 20 years ago and i can live with the fact manchester city was on its knee's and we never turned our backs on them talk about money for old rope we turn up and happy hand over our money yes we liked a moan yes the club took us for granted yes the board and chairman was in a panic but the truth is

i would go and watch manchester city play sunday league football don't ask me why its in my blood this cult of a football club got me hooked line and sinker

Dead right! It’s been in mine since my dad (bless him!) first took me to Maine Road in the late 50s. At 2-0 down in ‘99 my mates and I were tearfully consoling ourselves by counting off the new grounds we’d be visiting. Glad we didn’t have to, though!

2zje52c.jpg

I met Super Kev in the Green Man a few seasons ago before the final against Wigan, what a great, modest bloke, where would we be now without him and Paul Dickov... That game was up there with QPR for me, once we got to 2-2 I knew Gillingham would flunk the penalty shoot out, they were physically and mentally crushed...!

I actually thought we'd go 4-2 in extra-time but hey, it's City !!! :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.