The Inflation of Player Fees - Are we complicit or squeaky clean?

Paying the 100 mil for Grealish did inflate the market (still can’t believe we did it). It became the bench mark for ‘top’ English players. For instance West Ham used the Grealish fee as a bench mark when negotiating with arsenal for rice.

Could also argue signing walker for 50 mil also reset the fullback market (see wan bisaka to United)

For anyone even slightly on the fence, we win the title and wham FFP was born :)

When did the Premier League introduce FFP?

The Premier League's Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR) were adopted in 2013 and based on UEFA's FFP. By comparison, the Premier League allows clubs to take losses of up to £105 million over a three-year rolling period without incurring any penalty.
And what happened in 2013?
Taggart walked from the swamp and they needed a rebuild. I can't recall them spending huge amounts under wee Davy but I'm sure the next couple of seasons they spent ridiculous amounts. Pogba, Di Maria, Depay spring to mind. Between Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho over a 4 year period they blew over 700m.
Whatever the rules were I'm sure Gill had his say on it regardless as Utd have sailed close to the wind for numerous years.
How the they haven't got the accusations and the lies thrown at them like us fuck knows.

Paying the 100 mil for Grealish did inflate the market (still can’t believe we did it). It became the bench mark for ‘top’ English players. For instance West Ham used the Grealish fee as a bench mark when negotiating with arsenal for rice.

Could also argue signing walker for 50 mil also reset the fullback market (see wan bisaka to United)
This. I don't think we've inflated the top end as much as others, and certainly not wages, but we've definitely done a job on what a quality squad player should cost. Nowadays, you're rarely getting someone less than £40-50 million. Nunez for £53 million and Pacqueta being quoted at £75 million, which is more than we paid for Mahrez, who was player of the year in a title-winning side. And I can't help but think us buying multiple £50 million defenders had an inflationary effect.

The one that surprised me most was going to £45 million for Phillips. Obviously it's easy to say in hindsight, but I remember the initial rumours were that he was available for £30 million, and at that price it was worth the gamble. Then suddenly it was that Leeds wanted £50 million.

I'd argue that the likes of pogba and slabhead costing £80-100m each inflated the market so we had to stump up that much for grealish.

Villa inflated the market by setting the minimum amount he could be bought at at 100m.

But no **** ever mentions that.

What united paid for Sancho, Maguire, Pogba, Fred etc etc inflated the market, and caused us having to pay £100m for Jack.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.