The Kendall period at City

10.Goater_Legend said:
Blue Lloyd said:
Personally for me deploying Alan Harper as a Sweeper was the best tactical choice I've ever seen any City manager do! We were leaking goals left, right and centre. And it tightened it up.

Also have to remember Kendall was the manager who took the gamble on signing Niall Quinn as well (a brilliant gamble) as he was in Arsenals reserves and going nowhere.
Indeed Kendall was brilliant at City if we're honest, the thing is he finished his own career by going back to Everton because he was never going to repeat his success of the eighties there, it was a bad move for both parties in the long run.

If he would of stayed at City, i'm sure he would of added more trophy's to his CV.

I remain utterly convinced we would have challenged for the title had he stayed. It was us, Rags and Leeds United at the time to attack the established order.<br /><br />-- Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:33 am --<br /><br />I totally understand the bitterness some feel because I still harbour it myself believe me! I just feel he was taking us in the right direction quickly and although we finished 5th twice under Reid had he stayed it could have been so much more.

Blue Lloyd said:
Personally for me deploying Alan Harper as a Sweeper was the best tactical choice I've ever seen any City manager do! We were leaking goals left, right and centre. And it tightened it up.

Also have to remember Kendall was the manager who took the gamble on signing Niall Quinn as well (a brilliant gamble) as he was in Arsenals reserves and going nowhere.

Also playing Gary Megson as a holding midfielder. I think we ground out a 0-0 at Everton just after he took over. Also I went with my brother to the Norwich away game that season we won 2-1 (I think) and it guaranteed we stayed up. I think Adrian Heath scored the winning goal! The away shirt from that era was one of the best strips we've had, apart from the Black and red stripe shirt IMO!

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Blue Lloyd said:

Also playing Gary Megson as a holding midfielder. I think we ground out a 0-0 at Everton just after he took over. Also I went with my brother to the Norwich away game that season we won 2-1 (I think) and it guaranteed we stayed up. I think Adrian Heath scored the winning goal! The away shirt from that era was one of the best strips we've had, apart from the Black and red stripe shirt IMO!

twas a beautiful strip and on that umbro would do well to re-visit during this 10 year contract. each and every one one my family (mum included) loved this and would be delighted if we brought it out again.

yes, probably kendalls biggest mistake leaving city?
Bredbury Blue said:
Didn't Kendal sell Andy Hincliffe to the Toffees only to follow him there a matter of weeks later??

john@staustell said:

I was just thinking about this when I got to the last post.

I knew an old guy at the time who was heavily involved with Everton. When he came to city he told me that that H.K. had a thirst. This was the reason they let him go to Spain.

Funny thing was that they wanted him back after he was at city. Although Everton had nose-dived.

I'll never forgive him as I think he was the one of the best managers city ever had.

First off, Kendall stabbed us the back. The Whisky soaked bum. Some fans have very short memories and think back to Peter Reid as being some sort of master tactician, man motivator and all round genius. Let's be clear. Kendall was the one that turned us into albeit very briefly a top five side. Reid stepped in when Judas left and took the plaudits. The reality is that the football under Jose Reid was appalling, utter utter shite. In fact I enjoyed the games in Div 2 more than when Reid was in charge. Lets not forget when old ironside Reid was playing the 'Legend' Sam Ellis was running the show from the sidelines. Fucking joke.

Kendall lit the fuse, Reid took the credit then reality bit. If Kendall had stayed we wouldn't have had those years of instability and relegations, but hey Karma is a great thing if it wasn't for the miracle of Wembley 99, and the amazing way we fans stuck by the team through the 'Dark Ages' then maybe we wouldn't have the amazing owners we have now. What goes around comes around Kendall you whisky soaked turd.....but he was a good manager.

Kendall was really at the top of his game with us, I hated many(almost all)of his signings and at times we played in a very dull manner, but we would have been a real force had he stayed. For me it was a real mistake for him to go back to Everton and the fact he couldn't repeat his first spell there finished him. Many don't seem to remember how close he was to the England job the summer before he left, in the days when it still was a really important job.

Nice to see peopele being honest yes Kendall was a scum bag for leaving us like he did and yes we took great pleasure when on Halloween '92 we thrashed Everton 3-1 at Goodison (hell we even scored their goal for them) But there is little doubt we were indeed on the verge of something with him I seriously think had he stayed we might have pushed Leeds for the last ever Division One title

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.