The Kendall period at City

Blue Lloyd said:
Kendalls signings and the impact they made.

1) Peter Reid - possibly his most important signing on a free from QPR
2) Alan Harper - the Trio man played as a sweeper stopped us leaking goals
3) Mark Ward - Busy industrious player but never a fans favourite
4) Adrian Heath - Did a job but never forgiven after missing a sitter against United.
5) Wayne Clarke - I think he scored a goal away at Forest once?
6) Niall Quinn - Whilst Reid was the most important signing this was possibly the best?
7) Tony Coton - Likewise with above
8) Mark Brennan - Remember him scoring at Maine Road against Norwich but that's about it - looked cultured but never saw enough of him?
9) Neil Pointon - replacement for Hinchcliffe.

I think that's it but if anyone remembers anymore please add.
I think we have made few better free signings ever than Reid, to the point that when he left we missed him as a player!

Colin Hendry was a good signing, but then he went off form and Reid sold him.

for me the best game ever had to be Villa away.I'm positive Kendall was the manager.Vill a were near the top,we were fighting relegation and Ward scored the first from about 25 yards,then Reid pounced at the far post to score the winner(2-1)Glorious day,live on TV I think.Reid then took over and as fans have rightly pointed out,is the luckiest City manager ever being at the right place at the right time.Remember HIS signings compared to Kendall-Ingebritsen(I've been after him all summer-Reid) Groenindiyk(sp) Kernaghan, Holden, although I liked him,not many did.Spoke to John Maddocks about Reid(who sacked him)and I told John he made the right choice in sacking Reid,despite the fact Swales should have sacked him.

SWSB said:
for me the best game ever had to be Villa away.I'm positive Kendall was the manager.Vill a were near the top,we were fighting relegation and Ward scored the first from about 25 yards,then Reid pounced at the far post to score the winner(2-1)Glorious day,live on TV I think.Reid then took over and as fans have rightly pointed out,is the luckiest City manager ever being at the right place at the right time.Remember HIS signings compared to Kendall-Ingebritsen(I've been after him all summer-Reid) Groenindiyk(sp) Kernaghan, Holden, although I liked him,not many did.Spoke to John Maddocks about Reid(who sacked him)and I told John he made the right choice in sacking Reid,despite the fact Swales should have sacked him.

Villa away was indeed under Howard. April Fools Day 1990 actually.

denislawsbackheel said:
Howard Kendall was a two faced twat. If he was so bloody good what did he achieve after he left City?

-- Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:25 pm --

BTH said:
I saw it all and remember it all, from start to finish.

The start was at The Dell. Can't quite remember where Howard Kendall had arrived from on the day, but he'd gone into a guesthouse on Archers Road and had a quick shave before marching up the road and into the ground.

On the Friday before he left, I was at the AGM when, towards the end, an old bloke got up and asked Swales if there was any truth in the rumours that Howard Kendall would be leaving for Everton. The old bloke was drowned out by a cacophony from the floor along the lines of "sit down you silly old fool" from a combination of Swales' inner caucus - who always sat at the front of these meetings - and those who couldn't even consider that it might be a reality. In the event the question was never answered by Swales or Kendall.

The answer came early the following week and I remember being in The Nelson in Didsbury with several Blues, all of whom were shocked and devastated. Never before or since can I recall a City manager leaving causing such consternation.

Mercer
Saunders
caused far more
to name but two.

Maybe they did but they were both before my time, which is why I pointedly stated: "Never before or since can I recall a City manager leaving causing such consternation."

Read the post properly next time!

BTH said:
denislawsbackheel said:
Howard Kendall was a two faced twat. If he was so bloody good what did he achieve after he left City?

-- Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:25 pm --

Mercer
Saunders
caused far more
to name but two.

Maybe they did but they were both before my time, which is why I pointedly stated: "Never before or since can I recall a City manager leaving causing such consternation."

Read the post properly next time!
I agree with you both ;-))The consternation was like no other, for me when Kendall left. However, I too wasn't around in the early 70s, interestingly Book being moved upstairs didn't see to cause much of a ripple at all.<br /><br />-- Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:01 pm --<br /><br />
Blue Lloyd said:
SWSB said:

Villa away was indeed under Howard. April Fools Day 1990 actually.
Villa were top on the day of the game and we had gone 40 odd games(47?) without an away win in the top flight(it was from Jan one year, a full season and then Apr the 3rd season).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.