The Kippax

No mate. Maybe the Gardners I'm thinking of ?
@mancityvstoke has (i think) solved the mystery pub by sending me a link to old Manchester pubs. Thanks mate, much appreciated: )

The Red Lion stood on the corner of Claremont road and Jay street.

manchester_m14_redlion.jpg
I'm still not fully convinced though.

C'mon you FOCs. It stood at the back of the kippax carpark to the left of the school. Some of you will know for sure.

My wife’s first ever City game was on the Kippax. Had to make the pilgrimage from the States to meet my parents and hopefully get the nod from them. They were well pleased and we arranged a trip to Maine Road to see us play Villa!

Made sure we got there in good time so I could show her the sights, like where my Gran used to live at 173 Horton Road, the Croft where we played, the shops at Platt Lane where I used to go shopping with my Gran and buy our Lions Wine Gums, the ice cream truck depot where I got caught on the roof and almost crippled myself jumping off trying to get away, and even taught her how to dance through the ginnels dodging dog shit!

Got inside, pointed out the different stands, where I used to sit, the Dave Watson Gap, you name it! Full immersion day!

We stood towards the front of the Kippax on the side we were kicking towards (Platt Lane End), then did the walk towards the North Stand at HT.

She seemed like she was enjoying it, soaking it in, and liked her new sky blue & white scarf.

Then during the Second Half something happened that made me know she was The One…

She was fairly quiet, reserved to the point of social anxiety at times, yet equally as anxious to fit in.

She is from a fairly well heeled family outside Chicago, went to Catholic School as a kid, and was taught from an early age to mind her n’s and o’s never mind her p’s and q’s! She was the kind of young lady who thought “damn” was swearing!

So, it brought a smile to my face and almost a tear to my eye as, midway through the Second Half, the Kippax rose in a chant of “Fuck Off, Villa! Fuck Off, Villa!” and I look to my right and my future bride is engaged in the most full-throated rendition of that classic, with double-fisted V’s included for good measure!

We had been seeing each other for 3 years and I had never heard her say the F word before, yet here she was, on the steps of the Kippax, going hoarse shouting it at the top of her lungs, at Villa fans she didn’t even know she was supposed to hate an hour or two earlier!

I could only beam with pride then laugh, realizing I was about to engage in the ride of a lifetime with an Honorary Manc and newly minted Blue.

A new, yet now true, Blue, born on the Kippax, not in Manchester Royal!

Last edited:
After today my thoughts went back to the Kippax, could you imagine Leicester comming to Maine Road and taking the piss like today, no, whats happened to us.
“Is this a library?” Met with silence
“Your support is fucking shit” Met with silence
“Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh” Met with silence
“4-0 up and you still don’t sing” Met with silence

That definitely wouldn’t have happened in the old Kippax or North Stand at Maine Road, nor the CoMS South Stand pre-takeover or the Kippax Corner up to about 5 years ago.

@mancityvstoke has (i think) solved the mystery pub by sending me a link to old Manchester pubs. Thanks mate, much appreciated: )

The Red Lion stood on the corner of Claremont road and Jay street.

View attachment 32750
I'm still not fully convinced though.

C'mon you FOCs. It stood at the back of the kippax carpark to the left of the school. Some of you will know for sure.
Was it on Yew Tree Lane of Thornton Road? They are the only roads whose backs face on to the car park. Going down Claremont towards Wilmsle Road there was the Sherwood on the left opposite St Edwards school just a bit further down on the right was the Lord Lyon, later Lord Nelson which had a curved frontage.

Further down that road was the Gardeners and on the right the best of the lot the Osborne. 3 pubs in about 150 yards in a side street. Happy days.

My wife’s first ever City game was on the Kippax. Had to make the pilgrimage from the States to meet my parents and hopefully get the nod from them. They were well pleased and we arranged a trip to Maine Road to see us play Villa!

Made sure we got there in good time so I could show her the sights, like where my Gran used to live at 173 Horton Road, the Croft where we played, the shops at Platt Lane where I used to go shopping with my Gran and buy our Lions Wine Gumd, the ice cream truck depot where I got caught on the roof and almost crippled myself jumping off trying to get away, and even taught her how to dance through the ginnels dodging dog shit!

Got inside, pointed out the different stands, where I used to sit, the Dave Watson Gap, you name it! Full immersion day!

We stood towards the front of the Kippax on the side we were kicking towards (Platt Lane End), then did the walk towards the North Stand at HT.

She seemed like she was enjoying it, soaking it in, and liked her new sky blue & white scarf.

Then during the Second Half something happened that made me know she was The One…

She was fairly quiet, reserved to the point of social anxiety at times, yet equally as anxious to fit in.

She is from a fairly well heeled family outside Chicago, went to Catholic School as a kid, and was taught from an early age to mind her n’s and o’s never mind her p’s and q’s! She was the kind of young lady who thought “damn” was swearing!

So, it brought a smile to my face and almost a tear to my eye as, midway through the Second Half, the Kippax rose in a chant of “Fuck Off, Villa! Fuck Off, Villa!” and I look to my right and my future bride is engaged in the most full-throated rendition of that classic, with double-fisted V’s included for good measure!

I could only beam with pride then laugh, realizing I was about to engage in the ride of a lifetime with an Honorary Manc and newly minted Blue.

We had been seeing each other for 3 years and I had never heard her say the F word before, yet here she was, on the steps of the Kippax, going hoarse shouting it at the top of her lungs, at Villa fans she didn’t even know she was supposed to hate an hour or two earlier!

A new, yet now true, Blue, born on the Kippax, not in Manchester Royal!
Fantastic story mate thanks for sharing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.