The Labour Government

You must have had a shit employer.
Look how other pensions in the private sector compare…
EG work for BP employer puts in 20%, employee puts in nowt.

Can't see - it's behind a paywall unfortunately. 20% is not the norm in smaller companies I think. I've worked for around 10 employers over my career and typically it's been 4%, 5%, 6% - that sort of range. Perhaps the big blue chip (rich) companies are more generous? Or maybe the industry I work in (IT) they are just all tight.

You aren't obliged to move other than by circumstances. Everybody is attached to their home, including renters who have to frequently move and have to work very hard to pay someone else 50% of their take home.

Old people knocking around houses that are too big for them, that they can't afford to heat and need alterations just to get around and into (alterations which they won't neccesarily fund themselves) isn't a good use of a finite amount of housing. Which might be better used to house a young couple starting a family.
Bingo. Which is why stamp duty is such a fucking DREADFUL tax. It's a huge disincentive for anyone to move, and that in itself is really bad for any economy. You want a flexible, mobile workforce, not people locked in to their properties and unwilling to sell because of a humongous stamp duty bill if they do.

I'd scrap stamp duty completely if I was in charge. It was boost the economy enormously. Every time someone moves house they spend a shed load at B&Q and Carpet Giant and where have you.

In the months leading to the General Election, Labour ran a tight but safe campaign, one light on radical policy and one lacking any bold vision, certainly compared to 1997. That was understandable, I suppose, because they had been through a rapid rebuild and didn't want to alienate voters. However, it also gave rise to the suspicion that they were keeping their powder dry and would unveil the bigger ideas once in power, with the first 100 days pivotal. Yet nothing genuinely big materialised, and instead all that's really been heard since is that things were economically worse than anticipated. Again, all understandable because that was what the Conservatives had done in 2010 and that message wormed its way into the public memory. The summer months have now passed but Starmer's Conference speech today hasn't revealed much more either; will the big ideas come with the first budget? Are there actually any?
I get what you are saying, but I think you are also right in saying that the budget will see the real direction.

As others have pointed out young couples wouldn’t have the money to buy the big houses. Even two people earning 40k per year can only borrow around £320k and that’s only 40k above the median house price in the UK. In London and the SE you can add another 160k to 300k on that.

A house that is too big for them doesn't translate as a big house i.e. four bedrooms plus.

A two or three bedroom house occupied by one person (who has no plans to expand their household) is under occupancy.

Such a house could be bought under that price bracket and an accessible flat could be bought for less, perhaps for half the sale price in some areas.

This is what happens when people respond to a quote of a quote.

In London , the old fucks should have seen sense and fucked off elsewhere and enjoyed their inflated wealth accumulated only because of government monetary policy on better things.

Last edited:
Bingo. Which is why stamp duty is such a fucking DREADFUL tax. It's a huge disincentive for anyone to move, and that in itself is really bad for any economy. You want a flexible, mobile workforce, not people locked in to their properties and unwilling to sell because of a humongous stamp duty bill if they do.

I'd scrap stamp duty completely if I was in charge. It was boost the economy enormously. Every time someone moves house they spend a shed load at B&Q and Carpet Giant and where have you.

Erm stamp duty is only paid on houses above £250,000. We were talking about them buying retirement properties under this threshold.

According to the Daily Heil Labour are going to:

Cut pub opening hours
Tax your fags and fuel to price you out buying any as part of the green vegan woke agenda
Replace rapists and murderers with meme creators in prisons
Allow the country to be taken over by Sharia Law
Make the BBC licence fee and official tax and double the cost

Any I've missed?

Completely agree with the tax on cigarettes. Should be as high as possible, only cut-off is when people are likely to buy smuggled cigarettes instead.

According to the Daily Heil Labour are going to:

Cut pub opening hours
Tax your fags and fuel to price you out buying any as part of the green vegan woke agenda
Replace rapists and murderers with meme creators in prisons
Allow the country to be taken over by Sharia Law
Make the BBC licence fee and official tax and double the cost

Any I've missed?
Only need to take your first point to debunk all the RW rhetoric. Again, LBC on the way to work were talking about Labour cutting pub opening times, basically calling it a disgrace that they curb the national pastime.

Then, they air their interview with Pat McFadden, which must’ve followed his piss-take out of Kay Burley, who basically took the piss out of Ferrari for a bit before confirming it was not a Labour policy and would never be.

Cue LBC, Ferrari with their political editor, continuing to spread disinformation by carrying on with the charade.

It’s all bluster and bullshit to keep the Tory/Reform voters something to go at.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.