The Labour Government

It did got down. The 50p rate was introduced in April 2010 as reflected in the 2010-11 figures below, from the HMRC. Look what happened.

Now some of the tax in 2009-10 was due to people hurriedly paying themselves more in that year, in order to avoid the 50% in the following year**. So the effect is exaggerated. But look at 2008-09 as well, still much higher (with a max 45% rate) than 2010-11 with the 50%. Even in 2011-12, at 50% it was still bringing in less.

** which kind of proves my point: A lot of wealthy people have flexibility in their earnings and can rearrange their affairs in order to reduce their tax bills, if rates get too penal.
View attachment 132832

The overall tax revenue didn’t, that chart won’t show that. The OBR report when they changed it back in 2012 is what you want to look at, it went up by 0.6 billion rather than the 2-3 billion they thought it would. Taking it back to 45% subsequently only made a difference of 0.1 billion.

I’m agreeing with your sentiment btw (although personally I’d still up it to 50% even though it impacts me). It needs to be in conjunction with other measures too though.

A house that is too big for them doesn't translate as a big house i.e. four bedrooms plus.

A two or three bedroom house occupied by one person (who has no plans to expand their household) is under occupancy.

Such a house could be bought under that price bracket and an accessible flat could be bought for less, perhaps for half the sale price in some areas.

This is what happens when people respond to a quote of a quote.

In London , the old fucks should have seen sense and fucked off elsewhere and enjoyed their inflated wealth accumulated only because of government monetary policy on better things.
This does feel like an attack on older people, highly divisive rather than inclusive.

Maybe they should just not bother with the downsizing and move straight to the coffin, or maybe that uses too much wood. Probably best for them finish work and pop off to the crematorium.

Nobody asked for house prices to go through the roof or for wages to stagnate.

Last edited:
This does feel like an attack on older people, highly divisive rather than inclusive.

Maybe they should just not bother with the downsizing and move straight to the coffin, or maybe that uses too much wood. Probably best for them finish work and pop off to the crematorium.
The recent Tory governments would love that.

‘Pile them high’.

A small 1.5 bed bungalow takes up a larger land footprint than that of a 3 bed semi.

The building costs whilst being part of the equation are in many areas significantly less than the cost of the land.

It’s as much the opportunity cost. They can fit two houses on a bungalow footprint so even if costs aren’t more they lose revenue

I forgot Rejoin the EU by stealth in the next week.

They would not even entertain us - we have yet to apply our 2020 commitments ( vet border checks etc ) so why would they think they can negotiate with a country that is not serious about agreed treaty agreements. I want to rejoin but people need to understand what the Tories did - or indeed didn't - do

Just watching the local news - covering a social centre that will be closing due to costs and lamenting the effects on pensioners. When interviewed I noted 2 were wearing Apple watches and a table littered with expensive phones. This was in York - not all pensioners are poor and I wondered how many of the £300 payments bought or upgraded Apple watches last year? Targeting is good its the level and possible taper that counts.

If you know York you will know that it has had an influx of homeless amongst whom are a lot of ex-forces - in July I watched a homeless guy in a Para's beret ( I know it could be just something he wears ) get up off a cardboard bed in the street around the corner of Betty's Tea Rooms neat HMV get up and take a shit in the doorway of the airBnB where he was asleep only to be disturbed by the people staying there trying to access it. I know people will disagree with me but rather than Hazel in Haxby getting £300 for heating rather than getting that poor twat off the streets and regaining some dignity

According to the Daily Heil Labour are going to:

Cut pub opening hours
Tax your fags and fuel to price you out buying any as part of the green vegan woke agenda
Replace rapists and murderers with meme creators in prisons
Allow the country to be taken over by Sharia Law
Make the BBC licence fee and official tax and double the cost

Any I've missed?
Betteridge's law of headlines is states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.
This is applicable to almost every DM headline about a Labour Government….(or, indeed, about anything or anyone they don’t like)!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.