The Labour Party

I've not seen the speech as I was on picket line. One of the FBU lads who just showed up claimed Keir threw him under the bus.
It’s even worse than I suspected. “In an election policy matters. And we're doing something very wrong if policies put forward by the Labour Party end up on each and every Tory leaflet."
Now, I might be wrong, but that sounds like he thinks they should only be putting forward policies the Tories won’t disagree with!

It’s even worse than I suspected. “In an election policy matters. And we're doing something very wrong if policies put forward by the Labour Party end up on each and every Tory leaflet."
Now, I might be wrong, but that sounds like he thinks they should only be putting forward policies the Tories won’t disagree with!

That’s exactly what he is saying.

It's not because the Tories disagree with it, it's that they think it's so unpopular with voters that it's worth putting on every leaflet as an attack.

That’s exactly what he is saying.
I don't think it is.

For example, Labour have talked about introducing free breakfast clubs at all Primary Schools. The Tories might disagree with this but they're not going to use it on any attack leaflets, because it's probably quite popular.

The ULEZ issue is that the Tories disagree with it and it's unpopular (because a lot of people really love their cars in this country, and pollution is difficult to "see".)

I don't think it is.

For example, Labour have talked about introducing free breakfast clubs at all Primary Schools. The Tories might disagree with this but they're not going to use it on any attack leaflets, because it's probably quite popular.

The ULEZ issue is that the Tories disagree with it and it's unpopular (because a lot of people really love their cars in this country, and pollution is difficult to "see".)
Why did he not explain that it was Johnson that brought it in, Shapps who insisted it was expanded but, given the state of air pollution in London, it was right to expand it.
If his idea is not to interrupt your enemy whilst he’s making huge mistakes it just might be better not to only say that you’d do the same thing….

Why did he not explain that it was Johnson that brought it in, Shapps who insisted it was expanded but, given the state of air pollution in London, it was right to expand it.
If his idea is not to interrupt your enemy whilst he’s making huge mistakes it just might be better not to only say that you’d do the same thing….
Just because it's the right thing to do doesn't mean it wins elections, and anything to do with cars is almost impossible to address rationally. Starmer, who is desperate not to mess up before the general election, so he can get into power and change things for the better, is butting up against Sadiq Khan, who is safely in power, and already has the popularity to make these kind of tough decisions.

This isn't the same as not interrupting - The Tories wanted this byelection to be a proxy referendum on ULEZ, and would have loved for Labour to engage more on this issue. They were quite happy to draw as much attention as they could away from anything positive Labour had to offer, and instead focus on an issue where they know they can "win" the argument, no matter the facts.

Just because it's the right thing to do doesn't mean it wins elections, and anything to do with cars is almost impossible to address rationally. Starmer, who is desperate not to mess up before the general election, so he can get into power and change things for the better, is butting up against Sadiq Khan, who is safely in power, and already has the popularity to make these kind of tough decisions.

This isn't the same as not interrupting - The Tories wanted this byelection to be a proxy referendum on ULEZ, and would have loved for Labour to engage more on this issue. They were quite happy to draw as much attention as they could away from anything positive Labour had to offer, and instead focus on an issue where they know they can "win" the argument, no matter the facts.
But only the Labour Party could ignore one of THE greatest results in its history and start looking inwards because it didn’t win in Uxbridge. Blair, he of the landslide fame, didn’t win in Uxbridge either in the 1997 election or the 97 by election and I don't think he was hugely bothered by it. It looks like Starmer has no political instincts and, worse than that, no principles either.

But only the Labour Party could ignore one of THE greatest results in its history and start looking inwards because it didn’t win in Uxbridge. Blair, he of the landslide fame, didn’t win in Uxbridge either in the 1997 election or the 97 by election and I don't think he was hugely bothered by it. It looks like Starmer has no political instincts and, worse than that, no principles either.
The political instincts here are the same as the familiar reasons for not closing the Central Wales railway line. "It goes through seven marginal constituencies." The extended ULEZ covers a lot of marginal constituencies. And asthmatic children don't vote.

True, but I'm sure the winning margin (a few hundred votes) would've been overturned by a more nuanced introduction of the brexit expansion. An opportunity missed sadly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.