The Lake District ... stunning !!

Have a drive to Tarn Hows - not far from Coniston. Decent paths which are wheelchair friendly and a car park overlooking the lake if you can find a spot. Might also be a cafe there - not 100%. It’s a lovely spot
Tarn Howes is magnificent, The land used to be owned by Beatrix Potter, but she gifted it to The National trust many years ago.

Off memory, over the years I have climbed (some many times)

Helvellyn
Scafell
Scafell Pike
Skiddaw
Blencathra aka (Saddleback)
Binsey
Great Gable
Pillar
Coniston Old Man
The Langdale Pikes (Pike o'Stickle and Harrison Stickle)
Steeple
Haystacks

Try to avoid the crowds, not easy, but it can be done.

I don't like the roads, as they're narrow and so difficult to navigate. We crossed the lake from Windermere on a chain ferry and the subsequent road to Hawkshead and Esthwaite was nothing short of a piss take.

Nice scenery but you cant get to see it, as your glued to the road in some touristy attempt to stay alive. They all take enough money for their overpriced brews, parking and Kendal mint cake, so why not use those profits to widen them. I think they do it to be trendy whereas the wife thinks they do it to deter visitor numbers.

Favourite place in all the lakes (next to Bowness) is Coniston water and that nice walk through the Grizdale forest with its all wooden animal art.
I would highly recommend parking the car near Windermere train station, and get the bus (open top in nice weather) up to Keswick and Derwent water, about an hour, stress free ride that shows the beauty of the area, regular service and you can hop on off at places like Ambleside and Grasmere. From Keswick you can do the most beautiful journey in England down the Borrowdale valley over the Honister pass to the gem that is buttermere. Just a suggestion for drivers who get a bit stressed driving up there.

I would highly recommend parking the car near Windermere train station, and get the bus (open top in nice weather) up to Keswick and Derwent water, about an hour, stress free ride that shows the beauty of the area, regular service and you can hop on off at places like Ambleside and Grasmere. From Keswick you can do the most beautiful journey in England down the Borrowdale valley over the Honister pass to the gem that is buttermere. Just a suggestion for drivers who get a bit stressed driving up there.
Good tip. I think Buttermere is my favourite place in the world. There's just something magical about it. And you can do a lap of it even with kids - a magical day out. Great access to some of the best fells as well: Haystacks; Fleetwith Pike etc.

It has got a lot busier in the last 11 or 12 years though, for some reason. You used to be able to go and barely see a soul. Still, I guess it's good that people are enjoying nature's beauty.

A nice steady one if you're staying in bowness. You can buy a water taxi / bus ticket from bowness. Catch the boat to Ambleside, then a nice steady walk up to Grasmere where there is a cracking real ale pub, grab some lunch then when your ready hop on the bus back to Windermere, then a steady 20 minute walk back down the bank to bowness. No driving involved.
a8b26fa5033c202b53393df6f52d395b.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.