The M.U.E.N

Skashion said:
I'm currently reading Gary James' Manchester: A Football History (wish it had an index) and something I read in there did indicate that it's always been a rag paper even in the late 19th century and early 20th century. So be it. Not worth getting upset about.

I wish it had an index as well - maybe next time.

The reason the MEN became more of a Utd biased paper in the early 20th Century was because Edward Hulton owned the Manchester Evening Chronicle and most of the sports papers of the day. Hulton was a City director and, for a while, chairman.

His 'papers had a Blue bias and Utd/Newton Heath gave the MEN an office at Bank St to work from to counter the City bias in the local media.

The Chron went out of business in the early 60s (when City were at a very low point).

Worth noting that today City fans think the MEN is biased towards Utd and Utd fans think it's biased towards City (Manchester Evening Blues).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.