The Making of James Milner

adrianr said:
The making or breaking. If another manager comes in and doesn't rate him are we all still going to think he should be in the team or finally acknowledge he just may not be good enough? (That's coming from a huge fan of Jimmy, been one of our players of the season IMO).

Yer may be right Adr, but he might just be the best we can get. Any other players in the offing who might be an improvement and obvious replacement for James. I can't think of any who might be shipped in with minimum outlay!

Johnsonontheleft said:
One person who will not be sad at the news of Mancini's departure is James Milner. For some reason Mancini did not rate Milner, and dropped him far too often despite MIlner putting in some excellent performances OUT OF POSITION. In my opinion James Milner can be our Steven Gerrard, and with Barry slowing down there's a vacancy to fill next season.

Hopefully this can mark the turning point in Milner's career from bit-part player to City legend.

Didn't rate him ???
How do you work that one out?

Think you can only really judge Milner when he is allotted a definate postion to make his own. At England and to a lesser extent at City, he is asked to play in a variety of roles and positions at different times during the game, I can only think of Zabba who does the same but at least he starts at full back. I think he could do the Barry role and more if he was given 90 minutes and a run of 7/8 games to develop.

Terrific player who should have played more. From what I remember, he was fantastic during the Autumn of 2011 when we were nigh on footballing perfection but then Bobby just seemed to let him drift out of the side (probably at the expense of a relatively slow starting Nasri). He should play every important game as cover for Zab or Micah at RB which pretty much nails that side of the pitch down from defensive and attacking perspectives. If you get in a world class Right Mid, then he moves inside to replace Barry/Garcia depending on the opposition.

Hey its easy this management lark. Do you think its too late to apply, have I missed the closing date?

Milner did his usual last night; worked extremely hard, good build up play and got him self into great positions but this is unfortunately where he falls down.....his final ball into the box is woeful most of the time....there was one great ball in which he whipped in first time that sergio just missed, but other than that he was extremely wasteful when in some excellent positions.

If we are going to go 4-3-3 milner wont unfortunately fit in...he doesnt have the athleticism to do the job (like ramieres at Chelski)...he can run all day but does not cover the ground quick enough...and as an out and out winger he simply hasnt got that final ball in his locker (or not often enough anyway)....however he has shown in the past he can adapt so maybe he will

I think if the new man whoever it is goes 4-3-3 that could be the end of both Barry and Milner ( both who I rate highly but have shown at international level that they do get found out)...good enough for the premiership but when it comes to champs league maybe they just are quite there????

I would argue that if a 4-3-3 is indeed used next year Milner simply drops into midfield but used outwide to give players a rest or to change the tactics a bit. The 3 up front becomes occupied by the forwards.

He doesn't have the athleticism to play in midfield? the guy is one of the fittest in the premier league. Ok he isn't as fast as Ramires but half the time he is a headless chicken.

Milner has enough quality I believe to be part of our squad as a midfielder and is a player who will be very useful to have in the team.

CTID101 said:
I would argue that if a 4-3-3 is indeed used next year Milner simply drops into midfield but used outwide to give players a rest or to change the tactics a bit. The 3 up front becomes occupied by the forwards.

He doesn't have the athleticism to play in midfield? the guy is one of the fittest in the premier league. Ok he isn't as fast as Ramires but half the time he is a headless chicken.

Milner has enough quality I believe to be part of our squad as a midfielder and is a player who will be very useful to have in the team.

While Im not disagreeing with you on most of your points, his lack of quality in the final third is a huge negative against him....as part of the midfield 3 he may be good enough as you say...but defintiely not as part of the attacking 3

As you say, very good squad player to have as well

He wont however be used as a central midfielder with the rumours of ferdnaniho and also yaya that can play there.....plus rodwell who has the same work ethic as milner and if can stay fit has the athelticism to play box to box....Milner is one of the fittest players int he squad BUT he lacks natural athelticism and that rangy pace that is needed to do the box to box work.....Barry has the best positional sense and reading of the game of anyone in the team but I think he may suffer due to a change in tactics as well

His lack of quality is a negative but if you consider our main way of play doesn't really utilize crossing it isn't that much of a downfall.

If he was our only winger and we stuck Dzeko upfront every game and just kept passing to Milner to cross then I would be worried but right now he does a fine job I think.

Well you can't play Fernandinho, Yaya and Rodwell every game. Players like Garcia and Milner will be needed, as will Barry if he is here.

I understand what you mean by the "rangy pace" though, Different games require different players and for some games it just won't be suitable to have X, Y and Z in midfield etc.
A good point none the less :)

There was plenty of creativity in the final third last night, the problem was all of our players made the exact same run, instead of making the smart decision of stepping backwards a little to be available for Milners cutback.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.