The Malcolm Allison Stand

mackenzie said:
mancitymick said:
In a way i understand what you are saying but they were a team togother

Yes, they were. A great team together.

But Joe needs something that sets him apart from Malcolm, because Joe was (IMHO) worthy of that kind of accolade.

Like Eric and Ernie ;-)

Needed each other to work the magic - but one was a bit specialer(!) than the other ;-)

marco said:
vonksbignose said:
Our greatest ever player, & our greatest ever manager are commemorated in their own ways at the ground.

Well surely today is the day to start the campaign for recognition of our greatest ever coach? We've got 3 unnamed stands at COMS, so I would have thought that a fitting tribute from the club would be to name one of these after the big man.

I don't know whether the mods would consider making this topic a sticky, so that people could post their support & we could inform the club of our views?

Over to you lot!

i agree stickey please, 'the malcolm allison family stand sounds ok to me'

This

daveduke67 said:
mackenzie said:
Yes, they were. A great team together.

But Joe needs something that sets him apart from Malcolm, because Joe was (IMHO) worthy of that kind of accolade.

Like Eric and Ernie ;-)

Needed each other to work the magic - but one was a bit specialer(!) than the other ;-)

Exactly! ;-)

They should rename one of the bars in City Square 'Big Mal's'. They should sell fedoras and cigars too ;)

In all seriousness, I think we need some sort of tribute. A statue possibly?

Without wishing to pour cold water on this idea, those Blues, like me, who were around in the Mercer/Allison era,may have a different take on this. Up until 1970 Malcolm was an absolute genius, proof being the cups City had won under his command. But then it all began to unravel, he had his spat with Joe, who left to join Coventry. He cost us the league when he brought Rodney Marsh in, to replace Tony Towers. The following year, I think, we should have won the cup, I remember seeing us get beat at Roker Park. Then Mal left.
When he came back at the end of the 70's, to help Bookie, he very nearly bankrupted our club. It wasn't sensible to sell off Peter Barnes, Gary Owen, who were both tremendous players, and replace them with Steve Daley, Michael Robinson, Bobby Shinton etc. This last spell in charge caused major problems at City, it took us many years to recover from the financial mess that resulted in Allisons team building.
Conclusion, much as I loved the guy for the work he did in his first 4 years, the rest of his time at City was a disaster. So please no Allison stand.
RIP Mal.

880125 said:
Without wishing to pour cold water on this idea, those Blues, like me, who were around in the Mercer/Allison era,may have a different take on this. Up until 1970 Malcolm was an absolute genius, proof being the cups City had won under his command. But then it all began to unravel, he had his spat with Joe, who left to join Coventry. He cost us the league when he brought Rodney Marsh in, to replace Tony Towers. The following year, I think, we should have won the cup, I remember seeing us get beat at Roker Park. Then Mal left.
When he came back at the end of the 70's, to help Bookie, he very nearly bankrupted our club. It wasn't sensible to sell off Peter Barnes, Gary Owen, who were both tremendous players, and replace them with Steve Daley, Michael Robinson, Bobby Shinton etc. This last spell in charge caused major problems at City, it took us many years to recover from the financial mess that resulted in Allisons team building.
Conclusion, much as I loved the guy for the work he did in his first 4 years, the rest of his time at City was a disaster. So please no Allison stand.
RIP Mal.
Was wondering how long it would be before this was brought up. Had someone suggested that Big Mal should have a stand named after him before his death I feel it would have been met with numerous reminders of the disaster that was his second term at Maine Road.

When the sentimental posts and initial sympathy has faded there will be plenty more like this I feel.

As a mark of respect to the man I'll not start going on about the effects his re-appointment had on our club. Let's save that for a later date. For now I'd prefer to remember his first stint and the honours he, and JM brought us.
RIP Malcolm.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.