The Michael Owen Brochure.

Damocles said:
Football fans have notoriously short memories.

Owen was injured for about a third of the time that Bojinov has been. At every single level, in every single team, he has proved that he can score goals and never rocks the boat. He has lost a yard of pace, but that still puts him about 4 yards in front of most defenders. He is surprisingly good in the air for a small lad, his touch is great, both his left and right feet are deadly and he is a naturally gifted striker; always in the right spot. He can play as a poacher, or as a deeper player, in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. Pair him with RSC and the Prem wouldn't know what has hit it.

His best work is always when he has been paired with a large striker, who can hold the ball up well. Initially Rush/Fowler, then Heskey, he can play off of defenders that draw centre backs in, and that is one of RSCs biggest strengths.

His current reputation is unfair. IF he feels like he has a point to prove and is heavily determined, he could be such a huge asset to us. *puts tin hat on* I'd have him in front of Aguero any day of the week. Aguero is an Argentinian striker, playing in Spain who has no Premiership experience. How many of them guys have come to the Prem and failed, despite their heavy reputation, Veron anyone?
Most of the people here who rate Aguero are relying on his Football Manager or FIFA reputation.

Owen is proven in the Prem, never upsets people, and can score goals for fun. He would suit the style of the team too.

Lets face it, we have more money than God. Getting a fit Michael Owen would be a huge investment, and one that will most likely pay off. I'll put £50 of Owen scoring over 18+ goals next season if he stays fit.

^^^^this (and that's the first time I've ever done that)

WHEN/IF he is FIT and has the SERVICE he is the best at what he does - scoring GOALS. I do feel sorry for him in a way, the Newcastle years have been a disaster. He could easily do a job for a mid-table premiership side and push them up the league. I hope someone does take the risk on him because his scoring record throughout his career at all levels is around 1 in 2, which is better than many strikers about right now

Prestwich_Blue said:
Whatever the brochure may say about him, like Robbie Fowler there's only one team he's really interested in playing for.

Be interesting to see what his marketing team could do for Danny Mills though.

Old

Bald

Rich.

Pearcey said:
The team he plays for was relegated. That tells you everything you need to know. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

It doesn't tell you anything about an individual player. Look at the West Ham side that went down a few years ago.

That said I wouldn't take Owen as he would still be too much of an injury risk imo

Michael Owen deserves a bit more respect in my opinion. Remember the comeback Alan Shearer made after he'd been written off on numerous occasions due to injury and form. I'd be pissed off if I was a Newcastle fan but it was just a terribly unlucky move for all parties. I'd take Owen at City now at the drop of a hat, well worth the risk, especially considering the finance we have at our disposal. What do we have to lose? At least he wont be able to score AGAINST us if we sign him! Granted, the brochure is embarassing but these things go on in professional sport and we never hear about them, Owen is just an easy target at the moment.

Is he better than Evans and Benjani? - We all know the answer to that question so I would have no problem at all with bringing him here. What people are not taking into account is that he will now feel he has a massive point to prove, and will be desperate to put in good performances to convince Capello.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.